Tuesday, June 18, 2019

2019-20 Phoenix Suns

2018-19: 19-63
Draft picks: 6,32

Signed for next season ($83.7m): Devin Booker, Tyler Johnson, TJ Warren, Deandre Ayton, Josh Jackson, Mikal Bridges, Elie Okobo, De'Anthony Melton, Jimmer Fredette, Ray Spalding
The future is Booker, the future is now.
Johnson has one last year left on his deal; a little pricey but the Suns are fine with one year of his game.
I kinda like Warren and he is signed (3yrs/$34m) to a very favorable deal. I'd play the hell out of him.
Ayton had a promising rookie year, this is the year where they truly figure out what they've got.
I still think Jackson can be a useful rotation guy, especially with Booker and Ayton. I'd play the hell out of him.
Bridges was promising, too, I'd play the hell out of him.
Okobo didn't exactly blow the league away last year but I think he has potential to be better next season. I'd play the hell out of him.
Melton had a surprisingly effective rookie year, I'd play the hell out of him (though I suspect he has the greatest chance of regression).
I don't know what they think they got in Fredette, I just don't see him as an NBA player.
Spalding seems like a nice guy, not sure he's more than a Summer Leaguer, though.


This summer's free agents: Dragan Bender, Troy Daniels, Kelly Oubre, Jamal Crawford, Richaun Holmes
I'd bring back Oubre and Holmes--indeed I thought the moves that brought in those guys were meant to be long-term fixes.
I'd let go of Bender (never figured what that guy does), Daniels and Crawford (OMG, I forgot he was on the Suns last year!).


Draft: I'll start with a pointless trade idea
Celtics get #6 (if Darius Garland (Vanderbilt) falls there); Suns get #14,#20,#22,#51.

If the Celtics can get Garland, it's worth their whole draft tray. They don't really need more young guys that need time, they need one guy that can play right now.

Unless the Suns love Garland--and the Suns are kinda overloaded with ball handlers right now--they should go ahead and just throw more youth on the pile. Who should they draft? Well, the Suns do traditionally love their Kentucky guys, do those three 1st round picks get them PJ Washington, Keldon Johnson and Tyler Herro? If so, go ahead and grab 'em. Or how about taking runs at Nicolas Claxton (Georgia) or Chuma Okeke (Auburn) to give them some depth down low. #32 could get them Carsen Edwards (Purdue), the only 2nd rd prospect that intrigues me. #51 could get them a foreign prospect like Josh Obiesie (Germany) or Marcus Louzada (Brazil). Suns might as well keep drafting.


Next year's lineup:
PG Booker, SG Oubre, SF Bridges, PF Warren, C Ayton with Johnson, Jackson, Okobo, Melton and Holmes off the bench. And hope you like it Suns fans because Booker/Oubre/Bridges/Warren/Ayton/Jackson is your 6 man rotation for the next two years at least.

They could use more size and obviously they'll need more depth but this looks like yet another fun/sloppy Suns squad. I don't see that lineup making the playoffs but I don't see it embarrassing the city of Phoenix, either, they'd be fun to watch. The Suns right now are just built to give young players a place to run around, might as well flip #6 for more chances to bring in more youth.

No comments: