Friday, June 28, 2019

2019 Gold Cup Quarterfinals

A
Mexico started off hot, easily won the group, but seemed to run out of gas (Martinique gave 'em a run). Arguably the best team in group play.
Canada won the games they should've won, lost the match they should've lost.
Martinique lit up Cuba and gave a full effort against Mexico. (Kinda wish they were moving on)
Cuba sucked--sucked bad! I guess I should've known they're not good at soccer (you ask Henry Kissinger, he'll tell ya the same thing) but I thought they'd have some spice to them.


B
Haiti came up big in the final match against Costa Rica. They've got good athletes but I wasn't particularly impressed with their on-ball action. They've got a puncher's chance to move on.
Costa Rica should've won this group but didn't win the game they needed to win. Instead of playing Canada, they're playing Mexico, which is a huge difference.
Bermuda was fun, man. Played Haiti and Costa Rica close and thumped Nicaragua. I was more impressed with the Caribbean teams than I expected to be.
Nicaragua was not good. They were not in any of their three matches.


C (The most mixed up group)
Jamaica has a lot of nice athletes but I've never been sold on their ability to play soccer. Against Curacao they must've missed on 400 scoring chances! So will they keep getting enough chances to score or will they keep disappointing in the box?
Yeah, Curacao! I gave them no chance and they actually looked pretty good in all three matches. (That late goal against Jamaica was the highlight of the whole tourney so far)
Honduras came up too little, too late.
El Salvador, too, was in the mix in this group but just didn't get it done. 


D
USA! USA! I wasn't skeptical, so much as I just had no idea what to expect. Thumping Guyana was expected but thumping Trinidad was not at all expected--and such a pleasant surprise! And finishing off Panama was a solid performance by a confident squad, that didn't even play their best side. Very impressive, USA looks very good moving forward.
Panama was fine. I dunno, they didn't blow me away.
Guyana played hard and even managed a good result against Trinidad. All in all I misjudged the Caribbean squads, those smaller countries came to play.
Trinidad was disappointing but USA shredding their defense took it out of 'em, I reckon.


Quarters
Haiti-Canada
Canada is probably the better team but they're not great, while Haiti has enough athletes to sport better big play capability. I'd say Haiti has a better chance to connect on a corner kick but this has PK's written all over it.

Mexico-Costa Rica
Costa Rica has had some fine squads in recent years but I didn't see anything in the group games to make me think they're gonna be able to hang with Mexico. Gotta take Mexico to advance.

Jamaica-Panama
Two kinda disappointing sides. Jamaica never seemed very likely to finish their chances, Panama never seemed likely to move forward well enough to finish. Another one that could go to PK's though I suspect Jamaica is the better team.

USA-Curacao
I've admired Curacao's effort so far but USA seems to have their shit together, gotta ride the Americans to get to the final.


Mexico and USA are the two best teams (as they always should be) and I'd be kinda surprised (and more than a little disappointed) if they don't face off in the finals. 

No comments: