Tuesday, June 18, 2019

2019-20 Boston Celtics

2018-19: 49-32 (2nd rd playoffs)
Draft picks: 14,20,22,51

Next year ($123.2.m): Gordon Hayward, Al Horford (player option), Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Aron Baynes, Guerschon Yabusele, Robert Williams, Semi Ojeleye
The Celtics turned from a team with big stars, big expectations, and a mighty war chest into a team with a lot of "nice" players seemingly over night. GM Danny Ainge is the most cutthroat wheeler dealer in the business and yet his mighty haul has turned into lukewarm chocolate milk.
I think Hayward is in line for Comeback Player of the Year, I think without Kyrie, he'll flourish.
I can see Horford opting out (he did so yesterday, as a matter of fact) but actually I think he's got a good thing in Boston, he should take the money and ride it out (although is Kyrie is definitely gone, perhaps he can get a raise from the Celtics). I think he and Hayward can be great together.
Smart is the one of the hardest guys in the game, not always perfect but always gives effort, makes plays and the fans love him. I think he's on a great deal, I wouldn't be eager to trade him.
Tatum and Brown are still fine rising young players, not sure what either of them are just yet. Tatum was great in the playoffs in 2018, I thought Brown was great in the 2019 playoffs, I'd keep them both.
Baynes opted into his deal, I think he's way cheaper than Plumlee and just as good.
Williams could still turn out to be a star (probably more Hassan Whiteside than Mitchell Robinson) and is the only real rim protection the Celtics have, I expect him to steadily get more minutes.
I even like Ojeleye, not indispensable but he gives good effort, he's not a waste of time out there (and kinda the pre-Zion, right?).


Free agents: Marcus Morris, Terry Rozier, Daniel Theis, Brad Wanamaker
I don't see Morris coming back. No Celtics fans will tell you this but I thought he was basically the only Celtic that played well at all after Game One against the Bucks. But with Brown, Tatum, Horford and Hayward, you gotta feel like the Celtics will get by without Morris just fine.
The Celtics kinda desperately need a play making PG right now, is Rozier that guy? I don't think so. I think rather than re-signing him, they'll go out to the PG free agent market and see what's out there--are they a player for Kemba?; the free agent PG's out there this summer: Rubio, Lin, Austin Rivers, Collison, Rondo, Bayless, Temple, Joseph, D'angelo Russell, Ish Smith, Mudiay, Ron Baker, Elfrid Peyton...hmmm, Rozier doesn't look so bad, huh? They probably need to deal for Mike Conley or Jrue Holiday.
I actually kinda liked both Thies and Wanamaker but they probably both have better options in Europe.


Pointless trade idea: Celtics get #6 (aiming for Darius Garland (Vanderbilt)); Suns get #14,#20,#22,#51.
The Celtics needs a big time PG right now, is Garland that guy? I dunno, but if so then he's more than worth those other picks. Indeed, the Celtics already have a roster loaded with medium-priced talent, they need quality not quantity right now.
The Suns, on the other hand, don't have any particularly place to go this year, so why not throw a bunch more youngsters in the pool and see who swims? They're still a year away from being a year away, I don't see the Suns as a playoff team in 2019-20, so keep the youth movement rolling.


Lineup
PG Rozier, SG Smart, SF Hayward, PF Tatum/Brown, C Horford with Baynes, Yabusele, Williams and some draft pick off the bench.

Not a bad team but that doesn't seem better than 4th in the East. The Celtics suddenly look back with regret at the Kawhi trade that might've happened last summer but I don't think they'll look back at this summer with Anthony Davis in the same way (he wanted to be a Laker, not a Celtic). Not a bad team, one that actually looks like they'll grind through a lot of W's next year but one that will probably get snuffed out in the post-season.

No comments: