Tuesday, June 18, 2019

2019-20 Utah Jazz

2018-19: 50-32 (1st rd playoffs)
Draft picks: 23, 53

Signed for next season ($92.2m): Rudy Gobert, Derrick Favors, Joe Ingles, Dante Exum, Jae Crowder, Kyle Korver, Donovan Mitchell, Grayson Allen, Raul Neto, Tony Bradley, Georges Niang, Royce O'Neale
Not sure how they replace Ricky Rubio but otherwise this squad is pretty well complete. Mitchell is the center of the action, good size for defense, good shooting, the rest of the regulars are well-coached and don't turn the ball over too much.


This summer's free agents: Ricky Rubio, Thabo Sefolosha, Ekpe Udoh
I suspect they bring back Rubio. Not that he's irreplaceable but when you look at the free agent PG's out there, I don't see anyone that matches their price point or their style any better than Rubio. He's not perfect but he's a good player, he fits their style and its good to reward the players that want to stay (especially for Utah). So while I wouldn't be shocked if they let Rubio go, nor would I be shocked if they brought him back.
Sefolosha never quite worked in Utah, the injury bug kept him from really reaching his potential in this rotation.
Udoh...not sure how that guy ever ended up back in the NBA, anyway. I could say there's no reason for the Jazz to bring him back, but there was never a reason to bring him in to begin with, so...I dunno.


A mock draft I saw had the Jazz getting Romeo Langford (Indiana) at #23 and if so, I think that'd be a great pick for the Jazz. I like Langford, his stock has fallen somewhat but I think he's gonna be a reliable scorer at the next level and, though they could use more size off the bench, the Jazz always need more scoring. 2nd rd picks for Utah should basically always be used on foreign players, right? So I guess they'd jump on Adam Mokoka (France), Josh Obeisie (Germany) or Marcos Louzada (Brazil), all of whom seem like they could be good wing scorers.


Next year's lineup:
PG Mitchell, SG Ingles, SF Crowder, PF Favors, C Gobert with Exum, Neto, Korver, Allen, Bradley and Niang off the bench.

They could use more depth--thus bringing back Rubio--but they could use more size, too (any interest in bringing back Trey Lyles? Or how about taking flyers on Frank Kaminsky or Dragan Bender or Marquisse Chris?). The Jazz have moves to make around the edges but I think the core is in place and ready to go.

No comments: