Tuesday, June 9, 2015

NBA Finals (Game 3)

(Wasn't able to do a Finals 2-game wrap-up, I'll do a 3-game wrap-up instead. I'd like to write more French Open Finals and Women's World Cup, hopefully those come tomorrow as well)

I like the Warriors to throw down tonight. Returning to the Heat-Spurs from last year: Game 3 was when Lebron realized he was all alone, everything floundered down to nothing and the Spurs ran wild. This season I'd say we've already seen more out of Thompson, Mozgov, Dellavedova and Smith too than we thought we would.  Upside: Lebron's got parts to work with; Downside: if the Warriors won the next 3 games by 40 points, we'd still be raving about what a great Final those Cavs dude had; Meaning: maybe Lebron's got a crew and maybe that crew will be gone when he wakes up in the morning. We'll see tonight.

Warriors are (-2) tonight, indicating that Vegas (the undisputed god of analytics) still thinks the Warriors are the vastly superior team though they've hardly looked vastly superior to anything so far. For all the lack of scoring and rebounding, the Warriors still should've pulled out Game 2 (I thought they would right up to that goofy pass Steph tried to thread to Klay), so as horribly as they've all played (none of the Warriors have played great by any means), they're still tied with good reason to be optimistic. I predicted before the series that the Warriors would be ready to lay a smackdown in Game 3, I'll stick with it. This may be what they've been waiting for.

The Cavs are overachieving better than anyone could've imagined and Lebron is as monstrous as I can recall. His game is huge at every moment (his mistakes generally coming from fatigue from having to do so much, I'd say). Mozgov is scoring legit points, Thompson is showing himself to be a high level rebounder, Dellevadova is making the most of his opportunities, Lebron is a whole new level of wizardry.  Tough to bet against the best when he's got his crew running and they're back at home, but I can't help thinking that the Warriors should still be the better team. I think tonight the Warriors pull it together and rip.

No comments: