Monday, June 1, 2015

More Random Sports

When there is no NBA I watch other sports. I had forgotten that about myself.

French Open (Serena over Stephens). Serena did it again: threw a 1st set bone to the young American, let her get right to the edge of winning the 2nd set....then yanked the chain. Normally I would appreciate this dominance but I find her play so un-gentlemanly (and tennis is an English sport), to toy with your opponents is more palatable in a team sport (Jordan or Messi or Gretzky or Kobe to do whatever they like) but becomes cartoonish in a one-on-one sport (Floyd Mayweather, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Shooter McGavin, Ernie 'Big Ern' McCracken). I reckon Serena will take another Slam, I don't know who awaits her but I reckon Serena's better.

German Cup (Wolfsburg 3-1 Dortmund). Dortmund scored early, looked like they were gonna dominate. But it didn't happen. Wolfsburg attacked well, looked more dangerous around the goal and were able to connect on a coupla nice ones.

Spanish Cup (Barcelona 3-1 Atheltico Madrid). Barca was better, Messi is a mathematician, Ahletico had a nice charge late, warded off the clean sheet, but Barca pretty well dominated for the first 75 minutes.

Fred Hoiberg confirmed as the next Bulls coach. Good hire? I guess so. Hoiberg played in the league but he's never coached in the league. If his players love him then I guess that'll be better Thibs and I'm guessing next year they'll have a festive vibe. A fresh face may look at this squad and see a lot of good talent, rather than the last guy who watched his young team get old. The Bulls need a positive outlook and a cohesive plan (they could also use some bench depth), good morale will at least keep the gossip to a minimum. Hoiberg's results may well depend on what the Bulls can pull off this summer or next.

French Open (Federer over Monfils, Ferrer over Cilic). Federer-Monfils was suspended yesterday, so Federer only needed two sets today to finish off Monfils; the vibe between them was playful, Federer's gambits worked, not so for Monfils. Federer is still a helluva player, man, wonder if he can win. Ferrer is an attack dog and that's what Cilic got a face full of today. Ferrer is a hustler, gets to every ball, Cilic had power but didn't have the command to elude Ferrer. (Think I'd like to catch Nishikori-Tsonga tomorrow morning, two good players both playing well right now)

Good lord! I'm watching a Tigers-Angels game from a coupla days ago. I got problems, yo.

No comments: