Monday, June 22, 2015

NBA Bric-a-Brac

The Lakers have two notes in the news: they've declined the $9m option on Jordan Hill and they are apparently interested in Dwyane Wade. As for Hill I thought he could be useful as a trade chip but I guess they'd rather go the free agent route instead (they've certainly got plenty of money to throw around). As for Wade....bwah ha ha ha! Let's see: if they give $25m to Wade to play half the games and $25m for Kobe to play half the games, that's $50m for ONE complete (overrated) player. Yes, I'm not a Wade fan and the Lakers are certainly capable of doing dumb shit, but this would be one of the all-time colossal mistakes in the history of basketball....and I say that without a shred of hyperbole.

Danny Ferry has been officially relieved of his GM duties with the Hawks, hardly a fitting end (though not an unexpected one) to what I thought was one of the finer GM performances of this past season. Ferry last year found himself amidst a collection of braves with no chief and at the slightest hint of political incorrectness (remember: he was reading someone else's report, so the complaint against him isn't even about his own words or beliefs), he was sent on leave and never returned though the squad he shepherded finished #1 in the East and got to the Conference Finals. I think he had a pretty good year in a shaky environment, I think the complaints against him (at least where I sit, I don't know the guy) seem petty at best and I hope he gets another chance in this league.

Steve Blake has picked up his player option to stay in Portland. I'm a little surprised by this because Blake was pretty good last year, I reckon he could get more than $2.1m out there. Is this an indication that Aldridge is coming back too? Or does Blake go forward in hopes of getting traded to a contender at the deadline?

Paul Pierce is reportedly going to opt out of his option with the Wizards and it appears the Clippers are the likely next stop. I dunno....Pierce is still a solid contributor in this league but I don't see him as the difference maker for the Clippers (and that's assuming the money is there...which it isn't). Pierce can be useful for the Wizards, perhaps he's ready to go back to the Celtics, he could give the Bulls some life off the bench, could we see him in a Mavs uni next year? Pierce is in the last great money grab of his career and none of those squads I mentioned seem ready for a Championship so I think he'd be better off going for the money....which means Lakers?

1 comment:

Bully Magnet said...

Steve Blake was traded soon after accepting his option to the Nets...which just makes his re-upping all the more strange. He can play with a better team than Brooklyn and he can make more than they're paying him, hell I think he can get more money AND be on a better team...so why?...Blake could've opted out and gotten $3-$3.5m to play for Dallas or Memphis or Atlanta, why let yourself get traded to the Nets? Guess he wants to live in New York.