Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Stanley Cup Finals

I didn't grow up watching hockey, I've never lived in a hockey part of the country, I don't know the history of the game, I don't know the numbers (shit man I don't even get how the regular season standings work anymore!), I'm not conversant in the strategies or personalities. But I love hockey. Playoff hockey is good good stuff but unfortunately it coincides with NBA so hockey has gotten lost in the shuffle for me. Good luck, then, that the Cup Finals and NBA Finals dovetailed perfectly.

I got to see Games 1,2,5,6.  All tense, tight games, great hockey. I did not care who won until Game 6 when I was openly rooting for Game 7 (and thus the Lightning). I always marvel at how fast the game is: 20 minutes of hockey takes about a half hour whereas in basketball the last 2 minutes of game time can last longer than that! The Lightning goalie (Bishop) kinda drove me nuts: constantly diving into players, getting behind the net, quite nerve wracking behavior from a goalkeeper. I wish I had more to say, I enjoyed every second of it.

No comments: