Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The #8 Pick

The Pistons have the #8 pick.  What do they need?  Wow, they could use Okafor.  Okafor is exactly what they need to replace Monroe.  But he'll be long gone by #8.  I think the next best thing is PF Cauley-Stein and I think he'll still be there at #8.

Cauley-Stein is gonna be a defensive monster, helluva downlow rebounder (scary tandem with Drummond), not much offense (but then again Jennings and Reggie Jax never pass the ball anyway, so not a bad fit), not necessarily a natural born basketball player but he's an insane athlete with a nose for the ball; under the right tutelage he's got DPOY skills. Is Stan Van that guy? (Honestly, I dunno; I don't get what Stan Van is doing, maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't but I don't get it) Some mock drafts I've seen have the Pistons taking SF Johnson here but I think the Pistons look to be (at the moment) well-stocked in scoring SF (Tolliver, Butler, Martin). And as possessors of the #38 pick, they might be in range for some 2nd rd action at SG/SF: Petteway (Nebraska), Tokoto (UNC), White (Iowa) and a bevy of foreign players all look to be available there.  Not a diss on Johnson but I am convinced Cauley-Stein, as one dimensional as he is, is gonna be really really good at his one dimension.  The kind of Tyson Chandler-like talent that all teams could use.  I think a defensive guy can adapt to the pros quicker than an offensive guy, which is why Cauley-Stein is my early pick for Rookie of the Year; I think he's gonna be a really good defender right away.

No comments: