Friday, May 4, 2007

Who ya got?

I love animals, I love gambling, I love big parties but I never got into the Derby. I've lived in Kentucky most of my life but I've never cared much for horse racing. Like Halloween, Derby Day for me was something that I grew out of as a youngster and never saw much reason to grow back into it. But I am a sports guy, so I might as well start now.

Just looking over the field I noticed there are no Bob Baffert or Nick Zito horses this year. A down year for those guys, normally they'd have 2 or 3 each, must be tough for them to get shut out. And I don't recognize any of the jockeys this year, all the old classics (Day, Arcaro, Shoemaker) have moved on.

I have no idea who to pick. I'm going with Zanjero, I just like the name, it has a Kurosawa-ness to it that you normally don't get from a Derby hopeful.

The Kentucky Derby Field

No comments: