Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Thoughts on the Western Conference

Mavs-Warriors: I like the Mavs, I like Nowitzki and Cuban and that whole crew (I would've let go of Stackhouse last year, I think you can get younger at that position and not lose much but, hey, they had the best record in the league with him). But they're looking like a regular season juggernaut that just doesn't have it in the post (remember the Mariners a few years back who won 116 games or whatever? The Yankees brushed them aside). Everything the Warriors are doing is working and the Mavs look like a team of Drew Bledsoes out there. And, man, a Suns-Warriors match-up would be killer! 130-120 every night, like the old Alex English/Adrian Dantley/Bernard King/World B. Free days when everybody used to score 110 every night. The Warriors are peaking at the right time and they're getting every lucky break. They can win it all. Not something I thought before this series started but I believe it now.

Suns-Lakers: This Laker team is almost exactly the same as last year, isn't it? The Suns baited them into thinking they could compete by letting them win 3 of the first 4 games in the playoffs last year. The Lakers only picked Vladimir Radmanovic, didn't they? Bra-ha-ha! With all the sweeps in the east, I'm a little surprised the Suns didn't make a little more effort to sweep out the Lakers. They'll finish it in 5 tomorrow night.

Spur-Nuggets: Iverson is always most dangerous in game 1, isn't he? I think the Nuggets roll is over. The Spurs played pretty awful in the first game and it got away from them, looked like maybe an upset was brewing. No. Spurs wrap it up tomorrow night.

Jazz-Rockets: Carlos Boozer is a way better than I ever gave him credit for. His fall away jumper and his left handed drive match up perfectly with Yao Ming (I doubt he torches Duncan the way he torched Yao last night), but he's getting it done in the post-season and that is the point. Deron Williams may be the most underrated player in the whole league. He doesn't have a flashy game or a flashy look but he plays with a quiet confidence and he gets it done. Playing in Utah just does that to guys, doesn't it: they turn out good but nobody notices. I'm amazed the Jazz have gone this far with the disappearance of Kirilenko--dude, what happened to the guy? He was set to be the next superstud of the league and he's fumbling all over the place out there. The Rockets have more firepower up top but the Jazz have more depth, I like them both but I still don't think either one of these teams can beat the Spurs. I suspect the home team will win each game, I'll stick with the Rockets in 7.

No comments: