Wednesday, September 4, 2019

2019-20 NCAA Football (Week 1+)

Ahhhhhhh.....football.

Games I saw some of
(11) Oregon 21-27 (16) Auburn
I was impressed by Oregon's QB and Auburn's true-freshman QB, too. Oregon was rolling pretty well at first, then turned timid late and stop making plays; Auburn laid low til halftime, then pulled it out in the 2nd half. I was more impressed with both teams than I thought I would be. Comparing this to last year's Auburn-Washington match-up (when both squads were ranked in the top ten), I suspect Auburn and Oregon are both better this season than that game showed off. I've love to see Auburn give Bama a game (I guess it's possible) and I can see Oregon winning the Pac-12.

Northwestern 7-17 (25) Stanford
Kept expecting more out of Northwestern's QB, he had moments but didn't get it done down the stretch. As for Stanford, they look like a 'nice' team, no major mistakes but no overachieving either, I can see them being in the #20-#30 range pretty much all season.

Houston 31- 49 (4) Oklahoma
Wow, OU's offense is gonna be top notch this year, but...hmmmm...that defense kinda gave up some points to a nothing-special looking Houston squad. Its easy to see the Heisman Hurts talk is ready to take off but I'm not sure that D is gonna get them to the playoff--and come on, man, Oklahoma-Alabama is a game we've got to see!


Top 25
Handled their business
(1) Clemson, (2) Alabama, (3) Georgia, (4) Oklahoma, (5) Ohio State, (6) Louisiana State, (7) Michigan, (9) Notre Dame, (10) Texas, (12) Texas A&M, (13) Washington, (14) Utah, (15) Penn State, (16) Auburn, (17) Central Florida, (18) Michigan State, (19) Wisconsin, (20) Iowa, (22) Syracuse, (23) Washington State, (24) Nebraska, (25) Stanford


Won but did not impress
(8) Florida. Miami didn't look all that good and probably should've beaten Florida. Coming in I thought Florida would be in good position to beat Georgia this year, but after this game I no longer see that as a possibility. We'll see, perhaps we'll look back on this as a great save rather than a near giveaway.

(21) Iowa State. Northern Iowa is a pretty good squad and the Cyclones did pull their shit together and avoid disaster, but you'd like to see a little more assured confidence in a home opener. Iowa State has a knack for giving really good teams a scare and I guess they're the kinda squad that gives up scares to lesser teams, too.


Bad beat
(11) Oregon. I suspect they're good, man, decent chance we look back on this L to Auburn as an impressive accomplishment.


Next week's interesting matches:
Army @ (7) Michigan (Army was legit good last year, don't expect them to be a walkover in Ann Arbor)
(12) Texas A&M @ (1) Clemson (definitely tougher than Clemson is used to playing at this time in the season, should be some fun)
(6) LSU @ (9) Texas (okay...let's see it)

No comments: