Saturday, May 19, 2018

2017-18 NBA Conference Finals

Each series is taking a lengthy break following Game Two. 

Cavs 0-2 Celtics
Going into this series it seemed to me that the Celtics had every possible advantage and the Cavs had Lebron. The Celtics blitzed the Cavs in Game One, getting out to an insurmountable lead, with just about everybody shining out: Brown in the 1st, Tatum in the 3rd, Horford in the 4th, Smart making plays, Baynes knocking down shots, it was team effort (the exact opposite of the Cavs). In Game Two, the Cavs kinda tried to make more of an effort but really it was just Lebron. (Personally I think Game Two is the template: make Lebron do literally everything) For the Celtics this is playing out like the 2nd round: up 2-0 on a team that thinks they should be winning, if they can take Game Three, that would be a death blow.

I said Cavs in 7 and I can still see that happening, though the Celtics are clearly the more complete teams. I expect the Cavs to bounce back in Game Three: they'll be at home, Smith will make buckets, they'll have the good energy rather than the bad energy, I expect them to stave off the Celtics' death blow. But Game Four is up for grabs, the Cavs better win that one. If the Celtics take either of the next two games, they'll be tough to beat back in home in Game Five. I'll switch to the Celtics, hard to see the Cavs winning four of the next five, more likely that the Celtics just keep tightening up


Warriors 1-1 Rockets
Warriors shone out, took Game One, then hung back and let the Rockets get by them in Game Two. Not uncommon for the Warriors to let road games go, I'd be kinda shocked if the Warriors lost Game Three. And kinda shocked if they lost Game Four, either. The Rockets are good but they are much more likely to fall apart than pull it together. The Warriors are still getting better. I said Warriors in 6, I'll stick with that.

No comments: