Saturday, May 19, 2018

2018-19 Utah Jazz

2017-18: 48-34 (5th in the East, lost in the 2nd round)
Draft picks: 21,52
Signed for next season ($89.3m): Rody Gobert, Ricky Rubio, Joe Ingles, Alec Burks, Jae Crowder, Thabo Sefelosha, Jonas Jerebko, Ekpe Udoh, Donovan Mitchell, Tony Bradley, Royce O'Neal

This summer's free agents: Derrick Favors, Dante Exum, Raul Neto, Erik McCree, Georges Niang
The Jazz have money to spend but let's start with a pointless trade idea: Crowder and Sefelosha to the Bucks for Jabari Parker (sign and trade); why do this? It allows Jabari to maximize his money, it gives the Bucks two defensive vets to put along side Giannis with the same salary as the guy they were gonna let go for free and it allows the Jazz to bring in a new guy without adding salary. (Kinda convoluted but I feel like it works for everybody) They then use the rest of their money to give Favors and Exum a raise (I'm not the Jazz, but I'm certain they have decided whether they want to keep Exum or not; if so, they'll pay him good money and if not, they won't give him shit). I guess they could spend their money on Demarcus Cousins but that's quite a cultural gamble; I think I'd rather keep it going with Favors and Exum. McCree and Niang are on 2-way contracts. And I like Neto as a 3rd string PG, if they let Exum go maybe they could bring back Neto on a reasonable deal. At any rate, they've got options but I suspect they'll choose continuity over new blood--the trade I suggested gives them new blood for minimal outlay.

I saw a mock draft that had Utah taking two Pac-12 combo guards: Troy Brown (Orgeon) and De'Anthony Melton (Southern Cal). I dunno either of those guys but sounds good to me, if they can score, they'd be welcome additions.

I think they'll bring back Favors, Exum and Neto. I can see them making Burks and Sefeolosha available to the trade market (I think this'll be a busy summer for trades, don't be surprised to see filler coming from the four corners of the earth). As for free agents, I think they've long coveted (is that the word?) Jabari Parker and I would suggest taking a run at Avery Bradley: a defensive minded tough guy that can knock down 3's and be a protector for young master Mitchell. Since I think they'll re-up most of their current roster, it feels like they'll only have enough for one decent addition. But if they wanted to go for a big money addition, how about JJ Reddick? Or if they're looking for an exciting young contributor, how about Jerami Grant? And for a Summer League-level last chance, how about Wade Baldwin?

I expect next year's lineup to look pretty similar to this year's. They do have money for at least one or two additions, especially if they choose to let go of current free agents. This is Donovan Mitchell's team now; flanked by Rubio and Ingles, with Gobert for up-the-middle defense, the core if firmly in place. Traditionally Utah has been forced to keep their current players because SLC is not much of a free agent destination. But perhaps Donovan Mitchell and Coach Snyder have changed that equation.

No comments: