Tuesday, November 7, 2023

2023-24 NFL (Week 9)

Games I watched (some of)

Titans 16-20 Steelers
I keep watching the Steelers, they keep looking like shit to me, they keep winning. Okay, man, whatever you say, but this team is not any good, I'm just telling ya. QB Will Levis is, I must admit, already way better than I ever thought possible, he stands firmly in the pocket and chucks deep down field with confidence, if they can keep him upright he'll be better than anything they've had for a while. Thought the Titans could've pulled it out but didn't happen, another fluke W for the Steelers. 

Vikings 31-28 Falcons
The Falcons had a fumble (that went for a FG) and an interception (that went for an 8-point TD) and that sealed their fate; if the Falcons had avoided those two turnovers, I think they would've won handily. But letting the Vikings put some points on the board was all new QB Josh Dobbs needed to steal this one on the road with a pack of teammates he just met ten minutes ago. I was watching the game thinking (as I presume most of the Falcons sideline was, too): why didn't the Falcons trade for Josh Dobbs? The Falcons have some nice weapons on their offense and no one to get the ball to them. Oh well. The Vikings were devastated by the loss of QB Kirk Cousins but, for now, Dobbs has given them something to hope for. Curious to see where the Vikings go from here. 

Bucs 37-39 Texans
All I saw was the final coupla minutes but I think I got the best part. The Bucs had a nice drive to take the lead with a minute or so to go and then QB Stroud went right down the field and stole the lead back. Thing of beauty. I think we can go ahead and hand out that offensive rookie of the year award right now--I like Bijan Robinson as much as the next guy but Stroud is the deal! The Texans are dangerous now, just like that. The Bucs are actually a fun team, if they could find some consistency they might still be able to win their terrible division.

Cowboys 23-28 Eagles
I turned this one off before the final drive because I thought the Eagles had it won, but they managed to shoot themselves in the foot and give the Cowboys one last chance. I thought the Eagles were the better team, that D-line was stout today and while I kinda like the Cowboys, I don't think they're as good as the Eagles. And, yes, the Eagles have yet to play a complete game but I still suspect they're the best team in the league (especially since the Niners are suffering through injuries, the Chiefs don't seem capable of a complete game and the Dolphins don't play well against good teams). The Cowboys are snakebit but don't sleep on them, I think they are as capable as anyone of going on a run late in the year. 

Bills 18-24 Bengals
Yes, the Bengals were the better team on this night but I think people are a little too quick to bury the Bills. They had a phantom penalty (what was "intentional" about that intentional grounding call?) and a fumble at the 5-yard line, so I suggest that's 10 points the Bills snatched away from themselves. The Bengals went up 14-0 quick and didn't do much for the rest of the game--what exactly was so impressive about their smooshing of the Bills? The Bengals were better, the Bengals have been better the last few times these two have played, but this game was closer than I think some like to suggest. The Bengals are getting it going and look pretty dangerous. The Bills have suffered many defensive injuries but I think they're better than given credit for and I wouldn't write them off just yet. 

Chargers 27-6 Jets
In and out of this game because both of these teams are so uninspiring. Oh, man, QB Zach Wilson is just not the guy. I've never seen anyone so immobile in the pocket, he just stands there as the pocket collapses around him, never seen anything like it. The Chargers were fine, handled themselves well against that soli NYJ pass defense. These two teams now have the same record--how is that possible?


The rest of the slate
Dolphins 14-21 Chiefs
Still waiting for the Dolphins to beat a good team. 

Cards 0-27 Browns
The Cards are officially on their way to #1 pick, right? Nice W for the Browns, is QB Deshaun Watson ready to play now?

Rams 3-20 Packers
The Rams without QB Matt Stafford are really not  very good, huh? Packers at home might be kinda okay.

Commanders 20-17 Patmiots
I thought the Commanders were tanking, but apparently the Pats are tanking even harder. 

Bears 17-24 Saints
The Bears have no incentive to do anything at this point. The Saints could still win their terrible division.

Seahawks 3-37 Ravens
I've watched the Ravens utterly destroy a handful of teams this year and I gotta say: I'm skeptical. I think they just happen to get everyone's worst game. Why isn't there more buzz about the Ravens? Because they're kinda getting lucky. The Seahawks are okay. 

Colts 27-13 Panthers
The Colts aren't bad. The Panthers are. 

Giants 6-30 Raiders
The Raiders parted ways ith their coach, offensive coordinator and GM (at a price tag upwards of $80m!) and, well, the team looks a lot better right away. But the Giants lost QB Daniel Jones here and look pretty much done for the rest of the season, so might wanna pump the brakes for now, Raider fans.

No comments: