Wednesday, November 1, 2023

2023-24 NBA Bric-a-Brac (Week 1)

Contract extensions

Giannis Antetokounpo (3yr/$186m), Onyeka Okongwu (4yr/$62m), Cole Anthony (3yr/$39m), Josh Green (3yr/$41m), Aaron Nesmith (3yr/$33m), Jaden McDaniels (5yr/$136m), Deni Avdija (4yr/$55m)

Giannis deserves way more money than this and I believe the whole point of this 3-year extension is to leave him open to making way more on the next extension. Look: a great player like Giannis deserves all the money and $62m/year is just the beginning. 

I like Onkongwu, good fit in Atlanta, seems ready to slide into the slot that Clint Capela will leave behind eventually. Good signing.

I like Anthony and $13m/year is fine but I'm not sure he fits in Orlando any longer. But this extension probably makes him more tradeable (or does it make Jalen Suggs more tradeable?). 

I haven't been as swept away by the Josh Green experience as others have, but if he works out this season then he will be worth it. So this is an optimism signing.

Nesmith seems to be the right fit for the Pacers and $11m/year is not back-breaking, so the Pacers did well to lock up a nice scorer. 

Like Josh Green, I have yet to be gripped by the fascination with McDaniels and north of $25m/year seems much too rich to me. But, the Wolves seem to love this guy, so I guess they're into it. I don't see it and I don't think the signing makes him more tradeable, so I think this is a dangerous deal (but its not my team).

I like Avdija, the deal seems reasonable. Hope he fits with Jordan Poole because that is your Washington Wizards for the next 4 years.

Signings

Ish Smith (Hornets), Bismack Biyombo (Grizzlies)

Ish! Still getting dem checks. Good for you!

I like Biyombo as much as the next guy but he doesn't have much grit or grind to him. I guess he could get swept up by the Grizz atmosphere, but I can also see him being waived at the first opportunity. 


2-way Contracts

Duop Reath (Blazers), Duane Washington (Knicks), Nate Williams (Rockets), Nate Hinton (Rockets), Charles Bediako (Spurs), John Butler (Wizards), Ricky Council (Sixers)

Okay, I don't know any of these guys. 


Team Options Exercised

David Roddy (Grizzlies), Jake LaRavia (Grizzlies), Santi Aldama (Grizzlies), Ziaire Williams (Grizzlies), Blake Wesley (Spurs), Jeremy Sochan (Spurs), Malaki Branham (Spurs), Scottie Barnes (Raptors), Cam Thomas (Nets), Day'Ron Sharpe (Nets), Wendell Moore (Wolves), Bones Hyland (Clippers), Quentin Grimes (Knicks)

I don't know Wesley, not sure Williams has done anything to warrant optimism and Hyland is a buyer-beware kinda player. But all the rest look like good moves to me. 


Waivings

Montrezl Harrell (Sixers), Ibou Badji (Blazers), Darius Days (Rockets), Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (Rockets), Trevor Hudgins (Rockets), Keon Johnson (Suns), Taj Gibson (Wizards), Xavier Cooks (Wizards), Stanley Umude (Pistons), Edmond Sumner (Hornets), Azuolas Tubelis (Sixers)

Harrell suffered a knee injury during the summer, looks to be back in action as an eligible free agent by year's end.

Might be the end of the road for Taj (or back to the Knicks).

I feel like Robinson-Earl and Johnson are gonna catch on somewhere. 

No idea about Badji, Days, Hudgins, Cooks, Umulde, Sumner or Tubelis. 


Signed overseas

Tristan Vukcevic (KK Partizan)

I don't see any evidence that the Wizards still retain his draft rights, so is he considered an NBA free agent? (Not sure)


Way too early look at Rookie of the Year

It's been one week, which rooks have stood out so far? 

Ausar Thompson (Pistons), Victor Wembanyama (Spurs) Chet Holmgren (Thunder) are clearly the frontrunners for now, playing major minutes and looking comfortable out there. 

Brandon Miller (Hornets) is scoring nicely. 

Cason Wallace (Thunder) has numbers that are almost too good. 

I kinda love Dereck Lively (Mavs)'s fit so far, he could be a Keegan Murray-type major rotation guy by year's end. 

Keyontae George (Jazz) has a tantalizing asst:to and seems like a nice scorer. 

Jaime Jacquez (Heat) look like the next Heat creation. 

But there are still plenty of guys that could--and will--emerge. (Scoot Henderson (Blazers) starting slow, but I'm still in on him)

No comments: