Monday, November 20, 2023

2023-24 NCAA Football (Week 12)

Games I saw (some of)

(1) Georgia 38-10 (18) Tennessee

I watched the 1st quarter. was instantly convinced that (as I figured) UGA came ready to play and was probably going to pummel the Vols and then I halfheartedly checked back in periodically. The Vols have reached the yawn-level portion of their season, I was never convinced by them this year but the schedule necessitated that they get some time in the top 25 sunlight. UGA is rolling, they'll be ready for Bama in the conference final. 

(3) Michigan 31-24 Maryland

I kept waiting for Michigan to take control of this game and they never did. Maryland was never particularly impressive and yet made enough plays to hang around and make the Wolverines sweat it out. The Terps finally fell so far behind in the field position game that their chances of winning in the end were farcical. Michigan did what they needed to do, I guess, but more than anything they were able to goad the Terps into blowing their best opportunities (meh, I don't that will work against good teams). 

(10) Louisville 38-31 Miami

Good back and forth game, I felt throughout that Louisville was the better team but it still felt like they could blow it. In the end, the Hurricanes had a series of dumb penalties (two 15-yard anger management offenses) that just killed whatever chance they had a comeback (seriously, this is the kind of late game antics that coaches will be showing players as an abject lesson for years to come). I like the Cards and the Seminoles may have lost their QB, so I guess I'd give them a puncher's chance against Florida State in the ACC final, but I'm not overly sold on Louisville or anything. 


Top 25

Handled their business

(1) Georgia, (2) Ohio State, (4) Florida State, (5) Washington, (6) Oregon, (7) Texas, (8) Alabama, (10) Louisville, (12) Penn State, (13) Mississippi, (15) Louisiana State, (17) Arizona, (19) Notre Dame. (21) Kansas State. (23) Oklahoma State, (24) Tulane

Won but did not impress

(3) Michigan

Their coach wasn't on the sideline and Maryland is kinda plucky, so perhaps I'm overreacting, but I was never impressed with the Wolverines the way I'd like to be this late in the season.

(9) Missouri

I've been really impressed with Missouri this season, so to see them struggle against a left-for-dead Florida team was kinda shocking. They rallied and sealed the W, shouldn't complain, but they're better than Florida and I would've liked to see them show that fact off a little more. 

(14) Oklahoma

I'm kinda done with Oklahoma. They had a nice W over Texas but otherwise they've been kinda overrated all season long. And BYU isn't exactly a world beater this year and the Sooners had to scramble to beat a team that isn't as good as them. The Sooners are on the comeback, this has been a nice season for them (any W over Texas is a good season, I guess) but the glory days of penciling them into the Final Four every year is still a ways off. 

(16) Iowa

They got jobbed against Minnesota, so what happened here? Scrambling to shoo away an Illinois team that inspires no fear at all? Poor showing, Hawkeyes, I expected more from the Big 10 Runner-up (too soon?). 

Bad beat

(11) Oregon State

The Beavers are ranked as high as they are solely because they still had their shot to beat Washington and sneak into the PAC 12 title game. Well, they gave a game effort but came up short, so that ranking can officially be expunged now.

(18) Tennessee

I've been done with the Vols for a while, they never had any shot against Georgia. 

(22) Utah

I gave Utah a shot at holding off the charging Arizona side, but it did not happen and the Utes got charged all over in Arizona. Good W for the Wildcats, disappointing end of season for Utah.

Not so good

(20) North Carolina

I knew they weren't going to beat Clemson. The only reason anyone cared is because the Tar Heels are still ranked, though that should've gone away weeks ago.

(25) Kansas

I struggled with whether losing at home to a conference (in-state) foe was maybe a bad beat considering that their QB got snapped in half last week--and, if they'd lost 42-10, I would've been more sympathetic. But the fact that they were up late in the 4th and couldn't hold the lead makes me less sympathetic to them and makes me think this is a game they could've/should've won.


My top 12

1) Georgia (they've been the best all season and they still are)

2) (winner) Ohio State-Michigan (yeah, the winner would be undefeated with a coupla top notch W's, worthy of #2 overall)

3) Washington (still in on the Huskies and on QB Pennix in particular, I think they're going to beat Oregon (again) and will give the (Buckeyes/Wolverines) a run for their money)

4) Florida State (lost their QB and though I've been a little skeptical, they have taken all comers and have only Louisville remaining, whom they should beat)

5) (loser) Ohio State-Michigan (1-loss Big 10 also ran is still gonna be better than most everyone else)

6) Oregon (I hope you have the PAC 12 championship circled on your calendar because it is going to be a good one)

7) Alabama (they're gearing up for the SEC showdown with Georgia and I say they've got a better shot than anyone else has had all year)

8) Texas (I'm still skeptical of the Longhorns but they are the last ones standing in the Big 12, so here they are)

9) Penn State (the idea that the Nittany fanbase is contemplating firing the coach--are you people insane? You prefer, what, Jimbo Fischer? Knute Rockne ain't walkin' through that door, folks!)

10) Louisville (beat Florida State and show us you're better than #10 (although if/when you lose to Florida State, you might still be #10 on my list))

11) (pick 2) Missouri/Mississippi/Louisiana State (I dunno, these last two spots don't matter anyway and I can't quite take Arizona over any of these SEC squads, just drop your least favorite of these three and we'll call it 12)


Next week's intriguing matches (a lot of upset potential games, but not many that are that impactful or interesting; kinda the worst possible week: meaningless to standings and rankings and a stay away for gamblers)

(11) Oregon State @ (6) Oregon (could be fun but I'm guessing the Ducks go hard on the Beavers)

(2) Ohio State @ (3) Michigan (this is the game; I think the Buckeyes are better but I'm not sure, we'll find out)

Colorado @ (22) Utah (can the Prime Buffaloes steal back some glory as their up-and-down season winds down? A double-edged sword kinda game: winning at Utah is a nice way to close the season but with Utah down the last few weeks, a Colorado victory might seem kinda hollow)

No comments: