Tuesday, April 11, 2023

2023 Masters

The Masters hit me kinda sideways this year. I watched a ton of golf on Thursday and on Friday (til it got rained out). But I missed most of Saturday, where they finished the 2nd round but couldn't finish the 3rd. And on Sunday I road tripped with a friend thinking that they wouldn't finish and I'd be able to dedicate my Monday to leftover Masters action. Well, no. Turns out the weather was accomodating and they blasted through the 3rd round in the morning, setting up a traditional Sunday Masters.  

Jon Rahm outlasting Brooks Koepka was not a shock, those two were set up for a rousing finish and feels like Koepka didn't have it in him.  Koepka was able to breeze through the 2nd round on Friday before the rains came, leaving everyone else to scramble while he played a pretty ordinary set. 

All I really noticed this year: no one putted well. No one. Guess Rahm and Koepka and Mickelson did better than most but there were virtually none of those killer way-downtown putts that fills out the highlights every year. 

Here's Rahm's Sunday, a little lacking on context, but still a champion performance. 

Rahm was the man, Koepka was the only one that could've made a move on him. And the fact that Rahm outlasted him feels like a perfectly scripted Masters. 

No comments: