Thursday, June 21, 2018

2018 NBA Draft Reactions (15-30)

15) Washington Wizards -- SG Troy Brown (Oregon)
I would've thought a big man like Robert Williams was a better fit here or at least a more defensive minded SG like Zhaire Smith, but if Brown can score he'll get in the rotation.

16) Phoenix Suns -- SG Zhaire Smith (Texas Tech)
Another good addition for the Suns. They needed some defensive toughness and they added that in the front and back court with their first two picks.

17) Milwaukee Bucks -- SG Donte DiVincenzo (Villanova)
Bucks are known for gambling in the draft, I would've thought they'd reach for unknown Anfernee Simmons or a foreigner like Dznan Musa. But they could use wing scoring, I suppose. If he can score off the bench, he'll fit in just fine. (I'm more intrigued by Lonnie Walker, though)

18) San Antonio Spurs -- SG Lonnie Walker (Miami)
Either a complement or replacement for Kawhi. Don't think of the Spurs as a youth movement kinda team but Kawhi's on the table, Rudy Gay is already gone, Tony Parker is probably on the way out and they may be looking to replace Danny Green and/or Pau Gasol, too. The Spurs are in flux for the first time in 20 years, Walker may well get a lot of playing time.

19) Atlanta Hawks -- SG Kevin Huerter (Maryland)
The Hawks have drafted big guys recently, this draft is all about re-working the front court. Trae Young is a smaller guy but Huerter adds size on the wing. The Hawks have two new playmakers to lead them forward (oh, and Dennis Shroeder is definitely available now....for the Knicks?).

20) Minnesota Timberwolves -- SG Josh Okogie (Georgia Tech)
Seems like a reach but if he's the guy they want, then it's a good pick. I thought they might go for a PG here (kinda thought Elie Okobo might be their guy) but if Okogie can score or play hardcore defense, then he'll add to the rotation (if Thibs starts playing rookies).

21) Utah Jazz -- SG Grayson Allen (Duke)
Okay. I thought they might go for size (say, Robert Williams) but adding toughness on the wing is a good move for the Jazz. They're looking for 3-and-D work and Allen is a good choice here.

22) Chicago Bulls -- SF Chandler Hutchinson (Boise State)
I don't know Hutchinson but size-wise he seems a perfect fit for the Bulls youth movement.

23) Indiana Pacers -- PG Aaron Holiday (UCLA)
Pacers are kinda PG-heavy (I would've though Khyri Thomas was the guy here) but I like Holiday's potential so the Pacers probably did well to draft the best available.

24) Portland Trail Blazers -- SG Anfernee Simmons (high school)
I see him listed as an SG but that 3rd string PG slot is open for the Blazers, if Simmons can handle the ball he'll get minutes. I didn't see this experimental pick as the natural move for the Blazers (they could be losing Nurkic and Ed Davis, I expected Robert Williams to go here) but Simmons is intriguing and since they may be parting ways with either Lillard or McCollum (I wouldn't trade either but that's the buzz), seems like they need some front court excitement.

25) LA Lakers -- F Moritz Wagner (Michigan)
I was impressed with Wagner's run in the tournament this season, wondered why the buzz about him wasn't higher. The Lakers have traditionally drafted well in this area of the 1st round, I think this is another good move. The Lakers still have a lot of moves to make but I think Wagner has a good chance of scoring at the next level and working his way into the Laker rotation.

26) Philadelphia Sixers -- PG Landry Shamet (Wichita State)
I like Shamet's potential, though the Sixers are loaded with PG's now (uhhh, Fultz on the way out?).

27) Boston Celtics -- C Robert Williams (Texas A&M)
Williams fell a lot further than I thought he would but the Celtics did well to grab the best available (although I would still expect them to bring back Aron Baynes).

28) Golden State Warriors -- G Jacob Evans (Cincinnati)
I figured this was Gary Trent Jr, but Evans is a great pick here. Watch out, league, I think Evans is gonna be good and in Golden State he'll have plenty of time to develop his game. I thought they might trade this pick for multiple 2nd rounders but I think Evans is exactly the guy they need.

29) Brooklyn Nets -- SF Dzanan Musa (Croatia)
I'm curious to see Musa, he was top ten-ish in last summer's mock drafts, so he must have some skills. The Nets need everything so he'll have plenty of playing time if he's ready now.

30) Atlanta Hawks -- PF Omari Spellman (Hawks)
Another big body to throw in the Hawks youth movement. Villanova doesn't quite have the pedigree of, say, Duke or Kansas, but it's getting there and betting on winners in college is not a bad way to finish off the 1st round. Been a good night for the Hawks.

No comments: