Thursday, June 21, 2018

2018 NBA Draft

I chose not to do a mock draft because I think there will be a lot of trades this year. Also the amazing variance on this year's prospects make for a wide open draft this time around.

Personally I would rank the prospects: 1) Luka Doncic (how is he not everyone else's #1? This guy is already a badass (*)), 2) Marvin Bagley (his scoring and fluidity with the ball impressed the hell out of me), 3) Deandre Ayton (neck and neck with Bagley, I just slightly preferred the Duke guy to the Arizona guy), 4) Michael Porter (not everyone's cup of tea and there are questions about his health, but he's got the potential to be better than Ben Simmons), 5) Mo Bamba (I'm starting to buy the hype), 6) Wendell Carter (the best bet to be a pleasant surprise), 7/8) Mikal Bridges and Kevin Knox (Bridges feels like a dependable 3-and-D guy, while I think Knox can become a for-real filler upper in the right system), 9) Jaren Jackson (I think he'll be a reliable player but I don't think his upside is as high as the others), 10) Trae Young (honestly I don't like his chances to succeed but his upside is worth a shot I guess).

Yeah, I skipped Collin Sexton (Alabama) and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Kentucky) and only tacked on Young at the end. I just wasn't that impressed with the guards this year and since the rest of the draft is packed with combo guards, I don't see why you'd pass up on those potentially transcendent big men at the top of the draft. If you think these guards are better than the rest of the pack, then you've got to pick one but I don't think Young, Sexton or SGA are all that more interesting than, say, Zhaire Smith (Texas Tech) or Lonnie Walker (Miami). Unless I had one of the top 8 picks, I'd trade down and take my chances with multiple dips in the pool of interesting 2nd rounders.

As far as the 2nd round goes, I'm curious about Keita Bates-Diop (Ohio State), Jalen Brunson (Villanova), Elie Okobo (France), Josh Okogie (Georgia Tech), Dznan Musa (Bosnia), Arnolda Kubolka (Lithuania) and, man, I'm telling you, if Malik Newman (Kansas) is the 60th pick, that's an unbelievable steal. Also, I got a weird feeling Jacob Evans (Cincinnati) ends up being a super badass.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Suns took Doncic at #1 (nor would I be shocked if they traded him later in the evening), I'd be kinda shocked if the Kings did not take Doncic at #2 and even though everyone would put together trade packages for Dallas if Doncic slips to #5, I think the Mavs would take Doncic instead of trading the pick.

I can absolutely see the Grizzlies packaging #4 with Chandler Parsons. I can see the Magic swapping #6 for the Clippers' #12 and #13 (or the Sixers flipping #10 to the Clippers). I don't really see any scenario where the Cavs end up signing the #8 pick (that is trade bait with or without Lebron). I can see the Knicks overpaying to trade up from #9. I can see the Hornets trading down from #11 (how about #11 and #55 to Denver for #14, #43 and Juan Hernangomez?).

I don't see Kawhi Leonard (Spurs) getting traded on draft night simply because I don't think the Spurs would want a draft pick for him. The #4 pick and Chandler Parsons for Kawhi? You must be crazy! (How about this crazy pointless trade idea: Grizzlies get Kawhi Leonard, Pau Gasol; Spurs get (very specific, so this only works after the picks are made) Luka Doncic (#4), Elie Okobo (#32), Grizzlies 2019 1st round draft pick, 2021 unprotected pick swap and Chandler Parsons. Spurs then target Derrick Favors and JJ Reddick in free agency leaving them: PG Patty Mills, SG Reddick, SF Doncic, PF Aldridge, C Favors with Murray, Okobo, Green, Anderson, Bertans, Ginobli, Parsons, Lauvergne off the bench....nah, Parsons is too expensive to make that work)

The Wizards may want to move Marcin Gortat but they're not giving up #15 to move him (may not be the greatest pick but whoever they get will be too cheap to pass up).

I don't see the Wolves making any moves on draft night because 1) I don't see Towns moving at all and 2) why move Wiggins for a draft pick when Thibs got nothing out of the picks from 2017 (Justin Patton) and 2016 (Kris Dunn)?

Pointless trade idea: Kings get Luol Deng, #25, #39, #47 and Lakers 2019 1st round pick (which is shaping up to be a pretty weak draft); Lakers get a 2023 2nd round draft pick
The Kings would have Zeebo, Koufos and Shumpert coming off next summer and only Cauley-Stein to re-sign, Deng wouldn't kill their cap and they could use every draft pick they can get. (Lakers would want Cauley-Stein but I'd say no to that). The Lakers are in free agent mode, not draft pick mode, this deal would be a minimal price to pay to free up cap space.

We'll see how the trades shake out but it seems to me the big winner tomorrow night should be the Suns. With #1, #16 and #31 have a real chance to get better at a reasonable cost. We'll see if they do.


(*) Did you see Barkley's comment about Doncic? Something along the lines of, if he's 19 and already won a championship and an MVP it means the competition isn't any good and therefore Doncic is overrated.  *smh* So I guess Barkley's inability to win a championship and the fact he didn't win an MVP til 30 are examples of his greatness...?

No comments: