Saturday, June 3, 2017

NBA Finals

(Yes, I'm a day late but Game One didn't really change my mind)

In each round of the playoffs so far I've taken the Warriors in 5. I gave the Blazers a game because I thought they'd have one great shooting night and the Warriors would have one bad shooting night, just thought they might be on the same night. Ditto against the Jazz, who possess a solid home court advantage and have played as good as anyone against GSW lately. Ditto against the Spurs because, shit, man they're the Spurs but they can't keep up with the Warrior offense.

Ditto the Cavs, who are better than last year's Cavs that beat the Warriors (I'll say it: in one of the all time flukes of all time), but they aren't any better than this year's Spurs team that just curb stomped. I gave the Warriors one L in each series in the same way: Game Three. Thought in each series that would be the weakest moment for the Warrior crew, if they were gonna lose it'd be that one. So far they're 3-0 in Game Three, I expect them to go 4-0.

After one game it looks like the Cavs might be in the midst of a smoking, a four game swept kinda smoking. Durant is an upgrade on Harrison Barnes. It is kinda weird to not see Andrew Bogut out there but otherwise everyone is good and does their job. I think this Warrior team without Durant would be still be the favorite over this year's Cavs. With Durant this Warrior team is a clear favorite every time they take the court.

This Warrior team is the best team I've ever seen. Lebron, Duncan, Shaq, Jordan, Bird, Magic, Isiah, Stockon/Malone, Dirk, Nash, KG, Hakeem never played on a team better than this one. I would take this full strength team (and they don't even have their coach right now) over any team I ever saw. I'd give Jordan's Bulls, Magic's Lakers, Isiah's Pistons the best chance to hang but I think the combo of Draymond, KD, Steph, Klay, Livingston, and any other 5 dudes would take out even the best of the Jordan squads. This squad reminds me of Gretzky's Oilers, Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys, the back-to-back Florida Gator teams: high level of dominance that's built to last.

Meanwhile, the Cavs don't have any clear competition in the East for 2-3 more years. The Celtics are the closest, they could pull something together but they haven't yet. The Bucks have an exciting young core but are at least 2 years from being better than Lebron. The Sixers have a shot at becoming something great, but could also be rebuilding forever. The Raptors were as good as they've ever been this year and it did not happen, I don't know how they even come close to the Cavs any time soon. The Wizards will likely be doomed with a lameass bench for a while. The Heat would seem to be closer than anyone thought they'd be, but they also seem like a faulty concoction that could get re-concocted at a moment's notice. Hawks, Pacers, Knicks, Pistons, Hornets...I mean, nah...

So right now I fully expect to see Wariors-Cavs IV next year. And right now I don't know why we wouldn't get Warriors-Cavs V the year after that. In three years the Cavs might slow down enough for a rising East team to catch them, in three years maybe the mileage on the Warrior roster might begin to leave them in the reach of the Spurs or Rockets. Bur I doubt it, I'll stick with Warriors-Cavs for the foreseeable future.

And, yeah, for no reason at all I'll still stick by the Cavs catching the Warriors in Game Three (maybe even in OT, that'd be cool). Kyrie can pretty much do whatever he wants out there, still hard to imagine him outscoring the Warriors by himself but I gave the Cavs a game, I'll stick by it.

No comments: