Monday, October 22, 2007

Red Sox move on

As a lifelong Indians fan I can't say I was too surprised. Even up 3-1 I felt queasy. Hafner never got going, Sizemore just wasn't effective at the top of the order, Lofton was snake bit and Sabathia and Carmona just weren't gonna mow down that lineup with fastballs. Game 7 was all about the micro-climates, as it were, the little pushes of momentum back and forth. Garko's marathon at-bat against Dice-K and Westbrook knocking down 8 straight batters in the middle there gave the Indians some room. But Lofton getting held up at 3rd was crucial, then Blake misplays Ellsworth's grounder and the floodgates opened wide.

What happens to Travis Hafner from here? I say he rests up in the off-season (he was hampered by nagging injuries all season) and comes back strong next year. I think Carmona and Cabrera pick up steam, Sizemore and Martinez and Blake anchor that line-up, the bullpen returns to top form and the Indians kick some ass next year. (I have the strange feeling Peralta doesn't return) I'd like that to be true as a fan, but as a disinterested sports watcher (hard to do both at the same time), I can see it happen. That doesn't necessarily push them through the playoffs but they are my pre-pre-season pick to take the Central again next year.

As for this year, I'll take the Red Sox (the new Yankees) in 6.

No comments: