Sunday, October 7, 2007

MLB Playoffs update

I thought the Phillies were the team to beat in the National League. Well, the Rockies beat them, 3 straight. Can't front on that. The Rockies came in hot and so far they've stayed hot, easily brushing aside the Phillies.

The D-Backs also easily swept aside the Cubs, the team with the bigger payroll and higher expectations. Cubs fans will remember Lou Pinella sitting Zambrano after 85 pitches in game 1 but I suspect everyone else will remember that the D-Backs came ready to play and did the little things like timely hitting and turning double plays that the Cubs just couldn't pull off.

I think both of the West teams lucked out in the sense that the more high profile eastern teams were overrated and are going to pay a higher price for failure in the press than the Rockies and D-Backs would've had to put up with. Screwy, yeah, but hey, that's just how it works. I guess I'm sticking with the Rockies. They've got everything rolling right now and while the D-Backs do too, I think the Rockies play a fuller, richer style of ball. Rockies in 6.

No comments: