Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Eagle lands with a thud

Semi-final: Brazil 4-0 USA
Wow, the Brazilian ladies laid a flat-out beatdown on the mighty USA yesterday. On the talk radio USA was referred to as having a 'meltdown'. No, no, 'meltdown ' would indicate that everything was within their grasp and they somehow let it get away. No, no, no. Brazil controlled every second of this match, the only thing USA really did wrong was showing up. The first goal was unfortunate and the second was perhaps a save-able ball. But that just scratches the surface, the Brazilians peppered the goal all night: they hit the post, the crossbar and painted the post wide twice in the first half and at least once more in the second. Brazil could have won 8-0! Dude, after that 4th goal it was show time, the Brazilian ladies tooling around the Americans like cones in the parking lot. This was an even bigger beatdown than Serena laid on Sherapova at the Aussie this year.

Much will be made of the coach's decision to change goalies, which I agree is odd but hardly unprecedented. An easy scapegoat, I suppose, but that was not the problem. The Americans were outclassed and outpaced at every single position on the field. Hope Solo's unfortunate tirade to the media after the game will be her epitaph, I'm afraid. I agree wholeheartedly with her criticism of the coach but taking a shot at Brianna Scurry, a hall of famer, is indefensible and just not very politic. And if Solo thought she would win the game by herself--braaa haa haaaaa! I don't think so!

The Brazilian women have been one of the better ladies' teams out there for a decade or so but USA has been the mighty mistresses of this sport since its inception in the late '80s. Until now. This was a statement game--think of the Pats beating the heavily favored Rams signaling that the greatest show on turf was about to give way to sweatshirt artistry or Jordan's Bulls finally dispatching Isiah's Pistons, this is that kind of sea change in the game, I suspect. USA has long ruled by their superior training and teamwork. Now the flair Brazilians have long had for this game has finally come to the ladies' pitch and they will take a few more of these Cups in the near future.

Semi-final: Germany 3-0 Norway
I failed to watch the Germany-Norway semi-final though I did TIVO it. I intended to give it an eye but when I heard Germany won I lost my interest. I did skip forward and watch the goals: an own goal shortly before a half time, a flukey deflection goal about 20 minutes of the 2nd half and a lazy defense goal to cap it with 10 minutes or so. All pretty weak (that third one was a fine finish but a lame goal--does that make sense?) and it unfortunately mars what should've been a fine contest. Norway and USA both got bounced hard, should make for an interesting bronze medal match.

Bronze match: USA 4-1 Norway
This was the way USA expected to play in the previous round. They controlled the ball from beginning to end, nullifying the Norweigan offense by simply never giving them the ball. Norway faltered in the 2nd half against Germany and again to USA, as the Americans piled on 3 quick goals to finish it. USA and Norway have been mainstays in this game since its inception and I reckon they'll be strong in 2011.

Final: Germany 2-0 Brazil
I missed the final but I was surprised by the final line. Germany struck me as similar to the Americans, I thought the Brazilians would tool right through them. But their finishing touch abandoned them (a missed PK in a World Cup final?) and I take it Germany must've done a good job of interrupting the flow. Germany has now won back-to-back World Cups but I'm still convinced the Brazilians will be back in 2011.

I'll go ahead and make the prediction that the final four (Brazil, Germany, Norway, USA) will be the same 4 years down the line.

No comments: