Tuesday, October 9, 2007

MLB Playoffs Update

I did get 3 out of 4 of my playoff predictions (Phillies, you're dead to me now), although curiously enough the only sweep I predicted was the only series that didn't end in a sweep. Okay, now for the next round.

You might recall that I had the D-Backs v. the Rockies in my pre-season picks. Just kidding, I wasn't even close and neither were you. This is one of the outcomes that only a freaked out junkie could've possibly picked at the beginning of the year for a number of reasons: there was no reason to think either of them would be any good in general, there were no stars or experienced managers to point to and, of course, the east coast bias of the media culture. Even now the talk is of Pinella's questionable pitching maneuvers (though that was surely not their only problem), and the disppointing Phillies bats. (Bias aside, the story of the year is still the monumental collapse of the Mets, man, up 7 games with 15 to play and couldn't close it…that's pathetic) Both of these teams are hot and as division foes they're used to each other. I don't know, I'll say Rockies in 6. (D-Backs take 1 & 4; Rockies take 2, 3, 5, 6)

I'm a lifelong Indians fan so this is bound to be disappointing to me. The Red Sox lineup is stacked from top to bottom and they've got killer pitching and a veteran coach. The Indians are getting hot at the right time but I just don't think it'll be enough. The Indians do have their rotation ready to go but I almost feel like performances of Sabathia and Carmona may be wasted in Boston. I feel like it'll take a series of crises for the Red Sox to not win this thing--and they're over their crises now, right? Red Sox in 6. (Indians take 3 & 5; Red Sox take 1, 2, 4, 6)

No comments: