Monday, February 5, 2007

Only 364 more days until the next Super Bowl

I had the Bears and the under. I won the points but missed the cover and if the Bears had scored late I would've had the cover but not the points. I gave myself an out by saying if the Colts D gets turnovers then they will cover. The turnovers went back and forth but even that favored the Colts, I'd say.

If I was a Chicago Bears fan (which I am not), I would want Rex Grossman gone. After Scott Norwood pushed it wide against NYG, people forget that he came back the next season and was great for the Bills. Unfortunately in the next Super Bowl Kelly threw 2 quick interceptions and it was over long before Norwood got a chance to redeem himself. And after that he was cut even after having a good year because he was still considered the poster boy of failure. That's Rex's future: I imagine he'll be back next year and play okay and the Bears will make the playoffs and lose (to the Cowboys? Seahawks? Panthers?) and then the fans will burn him in effigy. Personally, I wouldn't wait for Rex to redeem himself. He's one of those guys that plays good every once in a while but for the most part he sucks and he's not gonna get better. And even when he is good he gets his receivers nailed, he makes the blockers go a few seconds longer, the running game becomes predictable, etc. Rex blows and I'd get rid of him. (That said, I'm not sure that Griese or Orton are viable options) Rex has that 'choker' tag and it'll stay there until he wins something. All the same was said about Peyton Manning--do you think Rex is as good as Peyton?

The Colts offensive line controlled the Bears consistently. The Bears D was too conservative, they didn't tackle well, that first Colts TD was busted coverage. Urlacher's a great player but his weakness is that he overpursues (as great players often do) and the Colts did a good job of exposing that but looking for the cutback on the run. And the Colts D did what needed to be done.

The Colts were the better team all year and they were in last night's game. When the Colts came out in the 3rd and dominated that first possession and the Bears were still backpedaling and failing to get pressure on the QB, it was pretty much over. That said, the score was close until that interception return for a TD.

No comments: