Friday, March 26, 2021

2021 NCAA Tourney (Sweet 16)

(5) Villanova v (1) Baylor

Baylor is deep and talented at every position; if anyone can knock them off, you'd think a Hall of Fame coach (like, Jay Wright, for example) would the be the logical choice. But I don't think this 'Nova team has enough to outlast Baylor. 

(15) Oral Roberts v (3) Arkansas

Oral Roberts has been hanging around but Arkansas can run and score and doesn't seem as likely to fall prey to the underdog as Florida or Ohio State. Love Abmas and Obanor, but I think it ends here for Oral Roberts. 

(I'll take Baylor over Arkansas)

(12) Oregon St v (8) Loyola-Chicago

I know I got hyperbolic in the immediate aftermath of Loyola's drubbing of Illinois....so a week later...I still think Loyola is arguably the best team in this tourney and as nice as Oregon State has played, I don't think they have a chance against Loyola. I don't even think Loyola has to play their best game to win this game. 

(11) Syracuse v (2) Houston

Normally a #2 seed would look up and see nothing but underdogs ahead and feel pretty good about themselve, but honestly I'm not sure I'd rank Houston in the top 3 out of this bracket. If Syracuse hits 3's, they will beat Houston. Houston isn't bad but they're not particularly special either, I think Syracuse can take them. 

(I'll take Loyola-Chicago over Syracuse)

(5) Creighton v (1) Gonzaga

Gonzaga is the best team in the land and I haven't seen anything from Creighton that makes me think they can beat Gonzaga. 

(6) Oregon v (7) Southern Cal 

Oregon plays fast, if they're making shots, they'll roll. If Southern Cal can slow Oregon down, then they can hang and steal it. We'll see. This one is a tossup...I'll say...Trojans...?

(I'll take Gonzaga over....either team)

(4) Florida St v (1) Michigan

Michigan is getting themselves right again, nice win over LSU (a team not dissimilar to Florida St), and I gotta feel like they're gonna find a way to get past the Seminoles. That said, Florida St. is not gonna be an easy out, this is probably the best game of the Sweet 16 slate. I'll take the Wolverines. 

(11) UCLA v (2) Alabama

Should be a high scoring, fast paced, score-fest. Okay, I'm ready. Alabama has been playing high tempo all season long, feels like UCLA is just now figuring themselves out. I wouldn't be shocked to see an upset but I'll take Alabama. 

(I'll take Alabama over Michigan)


The six tiers of the Sweet 16:

1) Gonzaga

2) Loyola-Chicago, Baylor

3) Michigan, Alabama

4) Florida State, Arkansas, Houston, Oral Roberts

5) Oregon/Southern Cal, UCLA, Syracuse

6) Oregon State, Creighton, Villanova

No comments: