Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Stolen Bases

I had this weird thought the other day about stolen bases. It seems to me that stolen bases have been at least possible in every single baseball game ever played. I figured the only way there could've been a game without baserunners was if a team threw a perfect game and then hit nothing but home runs on offense. Going through all the perfect games in MLB history, I found no such game (*). 

Mind you, I wasn't looking for stolen bases or even attempted stolen bases, merely the possibility of a stolen base, which, as you can see, is pretty much endemic in the game of baseball. Perhaps I'll return to why this curiosity intrigued me, perhaps I won't. I'm a flighty person, I've probably already burned out my interest on the topic. Just wanted to record it here in case the thought ever occurred to me again. 



(*) The closest was Sandy Koufax's perfect game of September 9, 1965. The Cubs (obviously) had no baserunners in that game, while the Dodgers had only a double and a base on balls, both by Lou Johnson. And in addition to scoring the game's only run, Johnson also had a stolen base.


No comments: