Thursday, October 5, 2017

2017 MLB Post-Season Predictions (Part 2)

(Meant to do this earlier today, didn't get a chance to. Due to my lack of cable TV, I have yet to see today's games, hope I'm not already too late)

AL
Red Sox-Astros
From what I've seen the Red Sox have the widest variance in the AL: they could easily get hot and win it all or they could get quickly swept by Houston and this season completely forgotten. The Astros look like the better team to me, the better lineup, the better defense, the more complete and consistent team; the Red Sox may have the better pitching top to bottom but they're kinda youthful in the field and I don't think the intangibles work in their favor. I'll take the Astros in 3.

Yankees-Indians
As an Indian fan, let me make it clear that I'm rooting for them to win and though I may be myopic, I think the Indians are the best team in the AL. I've been watching them all year and I'll tell ya: they don't have to be great to win games, they just have to be ordinary. If the Indians keep their composure and play their game, they'll beat everyone they play. This team is deeper than last year's team and, unlike last year, the pitching is healthy and locked in. The Yankees have a nice youth movement going but I think they're a little ahead of schedule and it would take a lot of luck to overcome the Indians ferocious pitching. I give them a puncher's chance in Game Three (with Severino) but otherwise, I don't give them much chance at all. I'll go with the Indians in 3.


NL
Cubs-Nationals
Two years ago when the Cubs stomped the Cards in the playoffs, it looked plainly obvious to me that the Cubs were set to dominate the NL for the foreseeable future; last year's run through the World Series made me look right but this year's lackluster regular season has given me pause. The pitching just hasn't been the same this year: Arrieta was such a killer last year but has been kinda normal this year, and Lester and Lackey haven't looked as overpowering either. The lineup had a hangover all year but has been pretty good. If they can get the pitching together, they can still be the best team in baseball. The Nats, meanwhile, have looked just plain ol' solid all year long. No highs, no lows, just good. My gut is that steady play will win most of the time but in the post-season sometimes crazy adrenaline and desperation gets it done. I'm thinking the Cubs will have more of the latter than the Nats. I'll take the Cubs in 5 (looking forward to five great games here).

Diamondbacks-Dodgers
Man, the Dodgers spent a good chunk of this season looking like one of the great teams of all time; then they spent the last 6 weeks or so looking...not good at all. Weird up and down for them. Clearly they've got the goods (great youth, solid veterans, deep pitching staff, confident manager, geared-up fans), but unless they get it back they might scuffle against a division opponent that is used to seeing them and won't be afraid. The D-Backs are good-not-great all over the field and going against a division foe will probably be a lot of fun for them. That said, I'll take the Dodgers to right the ship and win in 5.

No comments: