Friday, October 13, 2017

2017 MLB Post-Season Predictions (part 3)

Yankees-Astros
Hate to sound like a grumpy Indian fan but the Yanks didn't win that series, the Indians lost it. I was impressed with the Yankee tenacity and the timely hitting but their victory was more a case of the Lindor-Kipnis-Ramirez trio all falling flat (last year this was Kipnis's team, but this year Kipnis was in and out of the lineup, never got on track at the plate, I was dubious of sticking him in CF, it ultimately upset the balance). The Astros, on the other hand, got just enough of a test from the Red Sox to get them rolling into this series. I'm not blown away by the Astros pitching but the defense and lineup are playing good ball right now. The Yankees are on a nice streak, riding a wave but Judge and Sanchez honestly kinda sucked against the Indians and I didn't see enough from the vets to make me think that the Yanks are balanced enough to win another series. I'm a big fan of Severino but Tanaka is up and down (he was decidedly up in Game Three) and I think the bullpen may have played itself out. I like the Astros to win 6.

Cubs-Dodgers
The Dodgers sure looked awful in September but they're looking pretty good again in October. I thought the D-backs had a chance to put the touch on them but they held their ground and got it done. (You gotta respect the fact that the losers all went out with their best SP: Sale, Greinke, Kluber and Scherzer all played big minutes in their teams' final games) They seem to be rolling again and at their best I thought the Dodgers were the best team I saw all year. I've got stick with them to keep it going against the Cubs, who are too up and down, especially the pitching. The Cubs have big moments, big plays, tough outs and then they have careless defense, bone-headed baserunning and pitching that falters. They've got to the goods to be the best but I kinda don't see them bringing the goods 4 times out of 7 games against the Dodgers. I'll take the Dodgers in 7.

No comments: