Tuesday, October 24, 2017

2017 MLB Post-Season Predictions (part 4)

I am a Cleveland Indians fan and I watched them a lot this year. I don't recall their games against the Astros but I remember being very impressed with the Dodgers (best team I saw all year long). The Astros owned the first third of the season, the Dodgers owned the second. Both had their struggles, too, but fortunately for them they got the struggles out of their system before the playoffs started (not true for my Indians, alas).

Astros handled the Red Sox without much problem; Yankees caught the Indians backpedaling. The Yanks were able to steal W's at home against the Astros but that team isn't quite ready, they got further than they should have this year and the Astros were able to right the ship and take the victory.

Dodgers handled the D-Backs without much problem; the Cubs caught the Nationals at less than their best. The Cubs have a lot talent--thought they should've been the dominant team all year long--but they just weren't up to it this season and the Dodgers mowed them down easily.

Both of these teams dodged a bullet: Indians at their best and Nationals at their best would've challenged both of these teams, may have even gotten past them. But champions get lucky, too, that doesn't mean the Dodgers and Astros are undeserving. Not at all, they're both excellent squads and did what they had to do to get to this point.

My first thought is the Dodgers have deeper pitching, more variation in the lineup and the home field advantage, gotta go with the Dodgers. But the Astros as an underdog is very intriguing: they're a scrappy team, the kind of team that probably loves the idea that no one thinks they can do it. Baseball is a momentum game, gotta figure the Astros have a good shot at steering the series their way.

I think the Dodgers are better and have the better chance at winning, but that's precisely what gives the Astros a chance to sneak the whole Series. I was going to say Dodgers in 6 but I think I've talked myself into Dodgers in 7. Should be a hell of a Series, I'm looking forward to it. 

No comments: