Sunday, March 26, 2017

NCAA Final Four

South Carolina-Gonzaga
I was right on both of these two. I thought South Carolina would keep the momentum against another team favored against them; hey, South Carolina beat Duke and Baylor to get the Elite Eight while Florida beat an overrated Virginia and a Wisconsin team that was overachieving. I'm still impressed with South Carolina's moxie, their steady hand down the stretch and Sindarius Thornwell stepping up before the draft. Gonzaga, on the other hand, is just plain good and as plucky as Xavier was, I figured the Zags would make short work of them.

South Carolina has bested superior foes again and again in this tourney, seems like if anyone can roll with Gonzaga this is the team. Gonzaga is maybe the best team in the nation this year and though they haven't been tested too much, that doesn't feel like a drawback, it feels more like they're playing the way they've played all year long and no one else can keep up. I like what the Gamecocks have been doing but I think this is the end of the line for them. Gonzaga is too good, too consistent, too deep. South Carolina would have to shoot the lights out, never turn the ball over and get lucky to get a hold on this game.

Oregon-North Carolina
I missed both of these. I thought Kansas would make short work of the over matched Oregon (uh, nope, Oregon controlled Kansas from beginning to end) and I thought Kentucky's scoring would wear down UNC (foul trouble for Fox and a sluggish performance from Monk doomed the Wildcats). I'm still not exactly sure what Oregon brings to this matchup, a gutsy will to win kinda thing I reckon. UNC has depth and they're getting solid performances from their  supporting cast but I got my doubts about their PG play. My gut feeling was that the UNC-UK winner would take the crown but I think UNC may have been exposed. If Oregon's guards bring their A-game, I think Oregon can do what Kentucky wasn't able to: outscore the Tarheels. I'll take Oregon.

In the Final, I'll go with Gonzaga over Oregon. As good as Oregon has been (and will have to continue to be), I just think Gonzaga is too complete for anyone to mess with.

No comments: