Sunday, February 5, 2017

Super Bowl

The last football game of the year...always a bit melancholy. Aussie Open got 2017 off to a great start and I think the Super Bowl will be a good one too. We don't often get two killer offenses in the big game.

I thought the Falcons had the best offense in the league this year and the Pats were their usual high efficiency selves. The beauty of tonight's game is that while both teams are high powered offenses, they're both led by defensive minded coaches. Two weeks of prep time should make for some brilliant chess.

It is not uncommon for Super Bowl squads to come out tight, for 1st quarters to be awkward low scoring affairs. Tonight's contest will likely play out that way with a twist: these two squads are both offensive juggernauts so I think the nerves will be on the other side of the ball. I like both teams to score on their opening drives and then for the defenses to find their footing, making the rest of the 1st half a sloppy slog. I'll say Falcons 13-7 at halftime.

I like both defenses to play well but they'll both be cracked eventually. I think the model for tonight's game is the Panthers-Pats Super Bowl: low scoring for a while then an explosion of points in the 4th. Both of these offenses are too good to be stopped for long but I look forward to both coaching staffs keeping the defensive intensity high. (Kooky prediction: if the team that gets the ball first in the 2nd half scores, I think they'll win)

I like the Falcons 34-27. I'll take Matt Ryan as MVP.

No comments: