Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Euro Quarterfinals

I've watched a lot of the Euro so far but I haven't been as obsessive as I might normally be over a big summer soccer tournament because of USA's run in the Copa America. Euro is still better soccer (shut up, you know its true) and there are still 8 solid contests left and I look forward to all of them. I wouldn't put money of any of these predictions, just wanted to get a sense of what I think I think.

Poland v Portugal
Poland has narrow wins over Northern Ireland and Ukraine, draws against Germany and Switzerland. They're not scoring a ton but the defense has been stout.  Portugal drew their way out of the group, tying up Iceland, Austria and Hungary before finally getting a goal against Croatia. Portugal is doing just enough to advance but I think that ends here. I'll take Poland to move on.

Wales v Belgium
Wales lost to Slovakia but got big wins against England and Russia before squeaking past Northern Ireland in the round of 16. Belgium lost to Italy before hanging wins on Ireland and Sweden and then dropping a bomb on Hungary. I'm still not as impressed with Belgium as I'm supposed to be but hard to pick against them here, I say Wales' historic run ends in the quarters.

Germany v Italy
Germany had wins over Ukraine and Northern Ireland and a draw against Poland before thumping Slovakia. Italy had convincing wins over Beligum, Sweden, Ireland and Spain. Germany is still Germany but they're younger than usual, shaky in the back and don't look as unbeatable as usual and while Italy was not high on anyone's list coming into this tournament, I'd say they're playing as well as anyone right now. I'll take Italy over Germany (I think I think the winner of this game wins it all).

France v Iceland
Iceland got through their group by drawing Portugal and Hungary and a win over Austria before shocking England. France cruised by Romania and Albania then had a draw with Switzerland and a nailbiter against Ireland. Iceland is obviously the big underdog but, man, they dig in and defend well. France is good but I feel like seeing an upset. I'll take Iceland to get to the semifinals.

No comments: