Thursday, January 7, 2016

NCAA Championship

Alabama (-7) - Clemson (o/u 50.5)

Alabama (13-1) played 12 bowl participants this year (only Charleston Southern and Louisiana-Monroe failed to make a bowl). 8 won their bowl games (Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee, LSU, Miss St, Auburn) and 4 lost (Middle Tennessee St, Texas A&M, Florida, Michigan St). Clemson (14-0) played only 7 bowl participants this year. Of those only Louisville prevailed in their bowl appearance (Notre Dame, Miami, NC St, Florida St, North Carolina, Oklahoma all got bounced).

Right off the bat: Alabama played more good opponents than Clemson did. But neither team blows people out, both do just enough to win. Clemson has a more prolific offense, Alabama grinds people down with toughness and a paucity of mistakes. I think Oklahoma and Michigan State were the lesser squads in this year's playoff, both angling in right at the last moment, so I take little from the semi-final contests.

I watched a lot of NCAA football this year but other than the semi-final game I don't think I watched Alabama all year long, while I watched Clemson beat Notre Dame, Miami and Florida St. All I've got is gut: Alabama will win but I like Clemson to keep it close. The score will be low, something like 20-17.  I like Clemson (+7) and the under (50.5). Book it, punters!
  
(For the future: I think both teams have a good shot at being in the top 4 this time next year again. The talk that Saban is going pro doesn't sway me, he's got a good thing in 'Bama and the money would have reeeeeeeaaaaaaal good to move him off his piece of gridiron heaven. Clemson's recruiting has been top notch recently and it looks like that will maintain. The ACC looks kinda soft to my eye (Mark Richt to Miami doesn't get me all jazzed, long thought that guy was overrated) and if Jimbo Fisher gets poached from Florida State, then Clemson has a clear path back to the playoff for the foreseeable future. Notre Dame is moving in the right direction, surely Urban Meyer won't squander another fine class at Ohio State and LSU needs a warpath kinda season to save the dangling Les Miles, throw in 'Bama and Clemson and that's a good start at next year's final four)

No comments: