Monday, November 2, 2015

World Series

Watching Matt Harvey mowing down the Royals I thought to myself there's no way I'm holding him to a pitch count tonight. Then I recalled that he had controversy all year long about his usage and wondered if his agent would let him get to 110 pitches. I ignored all that thinking Harvey should be out there in the 9th. But when the coaching staff let him know they were going with Familia instead, Harvey bullied his way back onto the mound. I hated that. You hear similar stories about Bumgarner but Bumgarner announced his presence with confidence whereas Harvey announced his presence with hubris. Two batters in, his brilliant performance was over, Familia had to be brought in out of rhythm and the Royals did what the Royals do. Harvey was so brilliant for 8 innings, so awful for the last one and that's all it took. (By the way, Volquez was almost as awesome as Harvey last night, he kept them in the game and staying close is how this Royals team works)

Loves me some Eric Hosmer! Loved that he took off from third with the game on the line. He made the Mets make a play and they didn't make it. That guy is so money, Royal legend for the rest of his life, they'd be crazy to ever let that guy get away.

I had the Royals in 7, thought they were the better team, the more aggressive team and would be victorious but I thought the Mets had better pitching and would push the Royals harder than they did. Here's a stat: in this year's playoffs, the Royals scored 44 runs from the 8th inning on. Jeez, that's how you win championships.

No comments: