Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Pointless NBA trade idea

Hawks get:
PG Trey Burke
F/C Enes Kanter
A trade exception

The Hawks move forward with Kanter to replace Millsap, which should still be good enough for playoffs this year in the East; Burke adds bench depth for the next few years; the cap is unaffected; still plenty of money at the ready to chase another free agent this summer.   Perhaps the Hawks think they can keep Millsap but I'm betting he'll be wanting a big raise, a really big raise, a NYK kinda raise and though the Hawks have the money, something in me says they'd rather spend that money on something shiny and new or maybe spread it over multiple positions rather than re-up Millsap; I'm not saying Kanter is as good as Millsap but going forward he'll be a reasonable replacement (especially if Adrien Payne, currently of the D League, emerges with any kind of skill).  Burke and Shroder may be too many guys with not enough playing time and Shelvin Mack would become expendable but I suggest a plethora of talented guards will be valuable in one way or another.   

Suns get:
F Paul Millsap 
PG/SG Rodney Hood

The Suns give Goran Dragic's extension money to Paul Millsap, rely on Bledsoe and Thomas to run the offense.  Whether they keep Dragic or trade him, I suspect Gerald Green is gone next year, so this year they may as get as many minutes and production as he can stand.  I sent Hood to the Suns simply because I thought they could use another G off the bench a little more than the Hawks.  I like Millsap to mesh with Bledsoe and shore up the interior offense and defense, I think they could play Millsap as a PF with Plumlee/Len or as C with the Morris twins.  Millsap gives them someone veteran gravitas and brings a big body to the roster instead of re-signing Goran.  I love Goran but he and Bledose both need the ball and the Isiah-off-the-bench thing is clearly weirding him out.  I thought the Suns would struggle for a bit to replace Channing Fyre but I thought the 3-guard offense would keep the offensive attack rolling in a new way--and it may still work  out.  But to me it looks like Goran won't be back next year and I think they'd be better off going for a F or a C more than another PG. 

Jazz get:
G Goran Dragic
G Zoran Dragic

The Jazz add another long term piece to go with Hayward, Burks and Favors and they feature a running offense that wants to score, score, score.  They'll be fun to watch even if they don't go deep in the playoffs.  Zoran is not a bad player, coming off the bench with Exum and Ingles should keep that offense flowing.  Burke and Kanter just don't look like the right fits for the Jazz and if they could package them for Goran Dragic, I say do it.  


Why would teams want to give the long term money to new guys instead of the players they know?  They probably wouldn't.  But in this case I think these guys just fit better in other places.  Trey Burke is a rival to Dante Exum but Goran Dragic is a mentor.  Enes Kanter is a nice big man but he doesn't fit what the Jazz do, doesn't mean he's not a good player just that he's not the best fit long term for Hayward, Favors and Burks but he might go better with Horford, Korver and Teague.  Burke is surrounded by talented guards in Utah and he would still be in Atlanta, but moving to the East would almost assuredly make him better, don't ya think?  I think Millsap could be good in Phoenix because...well, I think he can be good most anywhere but I think Coach Hornacek would incorporate Millsap on both ends of the court quickly.  (I hate to use Rodney Hood as a stocking stuffer, its quite possible that he emerges as a good solid scorer in this league soon enough but for now he smooths out the contracts)  

Obviously the deal hinges on Kanter, Millsap and Dragic accepting extensions in the off-season (which would technically be illegal to negotiate ahead of time, would it not?).  The idea that these guys might prosper on other teams and that other teams might find some common ground here overwhelmed me enough to put it in a blog post.  

No comments: