Monday, December 15, 2014

Coach of the Year update

Mike Malone isn't going to win Coach of the Year, you heard it here first!  If you'd told me before the season that Mike Malone would be the first coach fired I wouldn't have been surprised; but considering the hot start the Kings had, it is shocking that they'd fire Malone now.  Why fire Malone at all much less right now?  Ty Corbin is an upgrade?  Frankly the Kings record right now is waaaaay better than I would've thought going into the season.  Indeed, I think they've already overachieved and are not going to get any better as the year goes on.

Can they get George Karl?  Maybe but I think Karl can do better and will pass on this opportunity. Can they get Mark Jackson?  Ditto.  I suspect there will be better jobs available by next fall and Jackson can get a better shot than Sacramento.

The Kings have Demarcus Cousins on what I think is the best contract in the League for the next 3 years.  After that....not much.  If they think Malone wasn't the guy, that's fine--personally I have no idea who Mike Malone is so I can't sit here and argue for or against him.  But if the Kings organization truly feels like they're going to win games immediately, they are nuts.  This is not a good team, they haven't drafted well (outside of Cousins), they haven't made strong trades or brought in good free agents in over a decade.  Cousins is a talented talented basketball player but he's a toxic personality, some would say a 'coach killer' and a tough option to make the face of your franchise.  Any coach's first priority is to suck up to Cousins, not the best way to start out.

The team isn't good enough to lure in a veteran coach and Cousins is too toxic to make a go with an up-and-comer.  I think Mike Malone was probably as good as they're gonna do.  But, hey, now they're back in the running for the #1 pick!

No comments: