Tuesday, April 1, 2008

NIT Picking

Massachusetts-Florida
I didn't blog as such but Florida was my pre-tourney pick to win it. Billy Donovan's mind games with his players, not allowing them to wear school colors for example, looked like just the thing a great coach does to motivate so-so players for a tournament run. Florida's players are actually pretty good but they were considered a disappointment this year. That was probably unfair as they're so green. A good run through this NIT may give them just the taste of success they need to come back strong next season. (Personally I'm hoping it burns them out and they suck next year) UMass incidentally is also coached by a Rick Pitino disciple, Travis Ford. I'll always remember Ford setting himself to take a charge from Shaq; didn't get the call if I'm not mistaken but on the up-side, he didn't shatter every bone in his body either. This shouldn't be quite as physically exhausting but I'm guessing Ford comes up on the short end here too. I'll take Florida.

Ole Miss-Ohio State
I saw Ole Miss play a coupla times this year and frankly they were pretty bad. I'm surprised they advanced this far even in a mediocre tourney like the NIT. I didn't see Ohio State play this year but I'm assuming they're better. I'll take Ohio State.

Looks like we're on track for a rematch of last year's NCAA finals. Or a double disappointment for football schools trying to turn into basketball schools. Never happened before. Cool or sad?

No comments: