Wednesday, April 9, 2008

NCAA B-Ball updates

Kansas 75-68 (OT) Memphis
Memphis had it and didn't close it. John Calipari is a great recruiter and a snappy dresser but he's not an in-game tactician. Derek Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts are 2 of the best guards I've seen in a while and they'll both be excellent pro players. I like Brandon Rush, probably a little undersized for what will be expected of him at the next level but I think he'll be pretty good.

North Carolina was disappointing but if you think about, the Tarheels have a long history of making the Final Four and then doing nothing. UCLA was just outmatched at every position by Memphis. I like Kevin Love but I think he'd be better served by another year in college and Darren Collison basically proved he can't play at the next level by getting his ass handed to him by Rose. I like Tyler Hansbrough, he's got good hands, good feet and plays with intensity but I just don't think he's got the skills to be an all-star; he could contribute along the lines of what Chuck Hayes is doing with the Rockets.

Tennessee 64-48 Stanford
UT's defense was too stifling for Stanford's attack. Gotta admit defense may win championships but in the ladies' game I'd rather see offense, cutting to the basket, crisp passing, clutch jumpers. Tennessee is a great champion (as usual) but it was a pretty dull game. Candice Parker went on to be the #1 pick in the WNBA draft this afternoon. Damn, they have the draft the day after the championship? No combines? No hype? No fun!

No comments: