Games I saw (some of)
Pats 10-13 Seahawks
Seahawks lost QB Darnold on the first drive, had to go to backup Drew Lock, felt like the Pats had a shot. The Pats were more consistent on offense through the 3rd quarter. But Lock was pretty good, the Seahawks finally started moving the ball; and on the other side, QB Maye just kept throwing interceptions (3--I thought all were his fault). The Pats were generally the better team but they didn't put points on the board and Lock made plays (better than I've ever seen him play before--is Lock the new Sam Darnold?). The game was there for the Pats to take (or at least extend into OT) but they didn't snatch the opportunity, Maye was pretty bad in the 4th quarter. Disappointing L for the Pats, but not a killer, not unexpected, shouldn't really affect them all that much. Good W for the Seahawks--how long can they keep it going with Lock under center?
Bucs 27-33 Bengals
The Bucs just kept turning the ball over and once they stopped doing that, I thought they were the better team. Let's be clear: these were not "Bengals defense" turnovers, these were sloppy Bucs plays. So are the Bengals the better team? I don't know (but I kinda doubt it).
Packers 22-39 Vikings
The Packers just stopped playing, while the Vikings kept going. The Packers had a comfortable lead going into the 4th quarter, generally looked like the better team through the first three, then the Vikings pass rush just started swarming the Packers. All momentum went to the home team, the Packers just collapsed and the Vikings took over. Are the Packers bad? Are the Vikings good? Not enough to tell from this game (but I'm leaning "yes" and "no").
Cowboys 20-28 Giants
This is a shock but is it really? The theory on the Giants is that they're skill players will eventually get hurt and there's no way they'll be able to weather an entire season without major injuries. But this is Week 1, everybody's healthy, so is it really a shock that the Giants were better than you thought they'd be on both sides of the ball? Or that the Cowboys are sluggish? Not at all. The Giants were the better team from beginning to end but I'm not done with the Cowboys just yet. And as for the Giants, well, let's see how long they stay healthy.
The rest of the slate:
Niners 27-7 Rams
All the talk was about each team's plan for going to Australia...so, the Niner travel plans were better?
Saints 30-31 (OT) Lions
Going for the W in OT, good for you, Saints. The Lions should've won bigger, no?
Jets 23-10 Titans
When was the last time the Jets won on the road? The Titans offense has another year of experimenting, I take it.
Ravens 41-23 Colts
I was in and out of this game, felt like the Ravens were doing whatever they wanted, Lamar looked good, the Colts just don't look elite in any way.
Falcons 13-20 Steelers
Meh, my gut feeling is these two squads both suck.
Bears 59-37 Panthers
Tons of points, but tells us nothing about either team. Is the Bears defense this bad? Is the Bears offense really this good? Do the Panthers just suck or did they get overwhelmed on opening day?
Browns 10-34 Jaguars
Yes, this looks right.
Bills 36-31 Texans
The right outcome? (As a Bills fan, I'll take it) (*)
Dolphins 13-27 Raiders
Feels right. I think the Raiders are gonna be one of those trick-or-treat teams that are actually pretty good every once in a while.
Commanders 22-24 Eagles
Division game. I still think the Eagles are the better side,
Cards 26-14 Chargers
Hmmmm....wtf? Okay, the Cards are (were) everyone's pick to be the worst (most inept) team in the league, while for the most part the Chargers are seen as a good team, probably a playoff team in the AFC. So....how do the Cards go to LA and lay a smackdown on a team that is supposed to be moving in the right direction up and down the organization? Is this the game we look back on throughout the season and scratch our heads or are the Chargers just all-round overrated? (Notice I didn't say anything about the Cards....no, they're gonna suck). How do we react to the pitiful performance from the Chargers?
Broncos 10-31 Chiefs
Expected a more competitive match but division games are always dicey.
(*) As a Bills fan I'm bummed to report that I got stuck with Colts-Ravens instead of Bill-Texans, which was obviously the high profile game of the time slot.
No comments:
Post a Comment