Monday, September 14, 2026

2026-27 NCAA Football (Week 2)

Games I saw (some of):

(1) Ohio State 23-24 (4) Texas

The Buckeyes dominated the 1st half, but I thought it was Texas playing about as bad as they could possibly play. Fumbles, interceptions, blown tackles--Texas was absolutely abysmal out of the gate. Also, OSU WR's were making plays and UT's were not. But after halftime I thought the QB battle completely flipped: QB Sayin was vanilla at best and jumpy at worst, while QB Arch Manning settled in, saw the field and made plays. The Buckeyes had the game in hand and just couldn't get anything going in the 2nd half and when Texas went on their run, the Buckeyes wilted. The L looked worse than it was, I don't think Ohio State will get punished for this because they're good and they'll be fine; good W for Texas and the comeback will probably earn points throughout the season. Texas needed this more than Ohio State, I am confident both of these teams will still be around at the end of the season. 

(12) Alabama 45-17 Kentucky
Well, it was competitive for a while (Wildcats up 17-13 at the half), but once Alabama got their defense going, that was it for Kentucky. Alabama was sluggish and sloppy early on, they didn't seem to have any plan on either side of the ball. Then around halfway through the 3rd quarter, Bama started using their LB's to blow up the line of scrimmage and Kentucky just backpedaled for the last 20 minutes or so. When Bama figured it out, they were by far the superior team, but until the light clicked on for them, they looked kinda helpless, they're gonna need to work on that. As for Kentucky, well, QB Mincy looked pretty good in the 1st half and I think they'll crush their cupcakes this season, but can they steal an upset in the SEC? (Eh, we'll see)

Old Dominion 21-44 Virginia Tech
I had to record this moment: ODU is at their own 20-ish yard line, QB gets sacked, ball comes out, VT scoops, gets to the end zone, TD; BUT....on replay the defender fumbled the ball (did anyone look at whether the QB actually fumbled?  Look kinda tuck-rule-y to me) before crossing the goal line, fumble recovered by ODU, so ODU gets the ball at the 20 yard line. Next play, QB gets sacked, fumbles, VT scoops and scores. That's the magic of college football, folks!


Top 25
Handled their business
(2) Georgia, (3) Notre Dame, (4) Texas, (5) Indiana, (7) Miami, (8) Mississippi, (10) Texas A&M, (12) Alabama, (13) Texas Tech, (14) Southern Cal, (15) Brigham Young, (16) Penn State, (17) Southern Methodist, (18) Tennessee, (20) Utah, (21) Iowa, (22) Houston, (23) Missouri, (24) Louisville, (25) Virginia

Won but did not impress
(19) Washington (Utah State 14-16 Washington)
Utah State is at Utah this week and I can't help thinking the Utes are going to slaughter USU, so what the hell was Washington doing here? At home, early in the season against a weaker opponent and the Huskies kinda farted around and had to scramble late to finish it. I dunno, man, this one don't look good. 

Bad beat
(1) Ohio State (Ohio State 23-24 Texas)
The Buckeyes probably should've won but playing this game 10 times, this is probably the only outcome that would've looked like this. So...are the Buckeyes better than this? Or did Texas just rise up and steal a W? I dunno, I think Texas and Ohio State are both tippy-toppy teams and I don't think this outcome is all that shocking or worrying for either side. That said, it would've been a lot better if the Buckeyes had taken the victory (probably would've cemented them as the overall #1 for the rest of the season).

Not so good
(6) Oregon (Oregon 31-39 Oklahoma State)
I pointed out that Oregon was startlingly unimpressive last week and now they go on the road to flailing Oklahoma State and were never in the game. Not good. Oregon needs to get it together pronto. 

(11) Oklahoma (Oklahoma 10-17 Michigan)
Michigan was wounded from their rather embarrassing gift of a victory against Western Michigan in Week 1, I get that they needed to have a big game against OU, but if OU is really a top 10 team, if their veteran QB is good enough to get big wins, then the Sooners should've fared better in this match. Frankly Oklahoma's offense looked pretty weak. @Michigan is not the hardest game on their schedule, I wasn't impressed with the Sooners last year, already out on them this year. Is Michigan a contender? Not as long as You Tube is filled with videos of that Western Michigan game. (*) 


Next week's intriguing matches:
(22) Houston @ (13) Texas Tech (okay, two Texas gunslingers, should be fun)
(16) Southern Methodist @ (23) Louisville (okay, two solid mid-level teams going at it, should be a good one)
Utah State @ (17) Utah (Utah State almost pulled the shocker at Washington, can they pull it off at Utah? (My gut feeling is ah, haaail nooo!))
(7) Louisiana State @ (8) Mississippi (past Kiffin versus future Kiffin, I'm intrigued, this is clearly the game of the week)



(*) Yeah I said it: Michigan deserves to be ridiculed and laughed at all season long. Ain't trying to be a hater, just saying they didn't deserve the W and if they were actually given the L they deserve, then their whole season is totally different. If Michigan ends up as your 2027 NCAA football champion, that will be quite disappointing. 

No comments: