Monday, July 8, 2024

2024 Euro Soccer (semifinals)

Germany 1-2 (AET) Spain

Wow! What a match, what a finish. Both teams were good, I'd say the control of the game went back and forth, both teams had good chances, both teams endured some bad luck, but Spain got the extra goal and they're moving on. Thought Spain got away with a handball--not sure why that wasn't called, though Fullkrug looked to be offside, so it might not have stood up anyway--and there were some chippy moments both ways and I thought the ref had some questionable moments. But all that aside, Spain took the lead but I never gave up on Germany and, sure enough, they knotted it up in extra time. Both teams had their moments in AET, felt like it was going to PKs, but Spain got the goal (great finish!) they needed with just a few minutes left and made it stand (though Fullkrug just missed on a header in the final seconds). Great game, this was the real championship, I'd be kinda shocked if there's a game as good as this one left. 

Portugal 0-0 France (France advances on PKs)

Bit of a snooze of a game, no one took control, no single player had a bust out game, and frankly in the 2nd half I thought France kinda sucked. Portugal was more aggressive, had better chances, but couldn't finish and after an extra 30 minutes, France nailed all their PKs and Portugal didn't. I haven't completely given up on France--certainly possible that Mbappe comes back stronger in the next game--but I haven't seen much from them either. Spain is better than anyone they've played so far, so they'll need to really kick it up a notch to make the Final.

England 1-1 Switzerland (England advances on PK's)

Yeah, England did their thing: play like shit for 70-80 minutes, then turn it on, get lucky and snatch all momentum right at the last minute. It's been working in this tourney, Switzerland was the latest victim. I thought Switzerland was generally the better team, played sturdy defense, attacked well, but when England feels like there's no time left, they turn unbeatable. Tough break for the Swiss, another lucky W for the English. 

Netherlands 2-1 Turkey

Another one: I thought Turkey was the better side from beginning to end, but Netherlands had a 5-minute stretch where they were able to steal 2 goals and rode that to the victory. Turkey is a lumbering kinda team but they more or less controlled this game--save for a few minutes in the 2nd half. And I gotta say: the only player that jumped off the screen at me in this whole tourney was Arda Guller, that kid's gonna be Real Madrid's next star. As for the Netherlands, I thought their finesse would get them past Turkey, but I'm not sure that's what happened (and unless they get up by 2 goals on England, that finesse won't serve them going forward). 


Semifinals

Spain - France

Spain is better than France, they attack more consistently, possess more thoroughly and I even think their defense is better, too. France just takes too long to unwind, too plodding in the midfield, I think Spain will swarm them, this might be over by halftime.

England - Netherlands

Well, shit, man, who knows? I think Netherlands are the better team--but then again, I thought this would be Switzerland v Turkey, not sure I'm the man to ask. England likes to wait til the last minute and surely the day will come when that strategy just don't work no more, but I kinda think they can still sneak by Netherlands. Netherlands can put together some dangerous combinations but I don't think they'll control this game--in fact, I think I see this as the opposite of England's strategy. I can see England dominating and then losing to a late flurry by the Dutch. Yeah, I'll go ahead and pick against England one more time.

No comments: