Monday, May 16, 2022

2022 Kentucky Derby

I love gambling and animals and day drinking and pointless gatherings and Kentucky--seems like I'd love horse racing, right? I don't. Horse racing is fucking gross and we should be ashamed of ourselves for inflicting this torturous life on so many beautiful animals. 

Okay, fine, if these high level thoroughbred competitions were the only horse racing there was, then I'd be cool with it. If a handful of horses were only going to race a handful of times then, hell, I'd even be cool with whipping them and abusing them if it was just a brief taste of how fast they could run and how hard they could compete. 

That's not what horse racing is. Horse racing a grubby business of grubby people in grubby places putting on grubby entertainment that more or less mutilates the lives of thousands of cool ass quadrupeds who deserve more love than they get from us. (Oh, and it manipulates poor, stupid people to waste their money on foolish games of chance....there's that, too)

But then Rich Strike comes along and I am reminded that even horses deserve to wallow in the appreciation of their greatness just like their human counterparts. If this was the only race of Rich Strike's life, I'm cool with it. (And it might be--at his level he's already too expensive to just put on the track....or maybe not, I dunno, maybe he's got a life of getting shipped like an Amazon package to California then Florida then England then Ohio ahead of him) But I can't help feeling that this poor animal has already endured more suffering than he deserves and probably has a lot more ahead of him.  


We're living in turbulent times, things are changing right in front of us and I'd love to suggest that the next disgusting relic of the past we should discard is horse racing. In short, I feel bad for posting this clip because the way these animals are treated is an abomination. But, god damn, what a run!

No comments: