Wednesday, October 20, 2021

2021-22 NBA Pre-Season (Pacific Division)

Suns

Out

E'Twaun Moore (free agent), Langston Galloway (free agent), Torrey Craig (free agent), Cheick Diallo (renounced rights), Tariq Owens (renounced rights), Jevon Carter (traded to Nets)

There's something about the inertia of player movment that explains why the Suns got virtually nothing out of Torrey Craig even though he seems like the perfect guy for them (he could be their PJ Tucker); instead, he got bounced from Denver to Indy through the Suns and they just didn't bother to hold on to him. Oh well, not a huge loss, I just thought he was good fit for their bench. Moore and Galloway are two old school vets, this team already has that role covered. Always thought Diallo was gonna find himself, but not yet. I don't know Owens or Carter. 

In

Landry Shamet (trade with Nets), Elfrid Payton (1yr/$2.2m), JaVale McGee (1yr/$5m), Chandler Hutchison (2-way), Chasson Randle (Exhibit 9)

I'm the guy that actually like Elfried Payton on the Knicks last season, but I understand why they shipped him out; oh well, I think he'll be fine as a CP-backup. I like Shamet, another bomber from the wing, keep it going. I always thought McGee was underappreciated--not an Ayton replacement (you need to sign that guy!) but a worthy minutes-getter. Curious to see what's up with Hutchison, he was a promising prospect not that long ago. 

Re-signed

Abdel Nadar (2yr/$4.2m), Cameron Payne (3yr/$19m), Chris Paul (4yr/$120m), Frank Kaminsky (1yr/$2.1m)

I thought Payne's performance in the playoffs last year merited him a much better deal than $6m/per so I'd say this is a great keeper for the Suns; Payne can augment CP or replace him, good versatility in the continuity. Personally, I'm not as huge a fan of CP as everyone else, I think he just showed you he can't win a championship, but I guess no one else sees it that way; I would've tried to feature him in a splashy sign/trade but I guess the 'basketball' people would tell me I'm an idiot (and thus kept the normally idiotic owner Sarver from doing something I actually think is a good idea); yes, I get it, he'll be great in the regular season, I expect the Suns to be comfortably top 4; but I don't think he's the future of the team, so I would've moved on and started over. I was never a fan of Kaminsky, think he's diet Plumlee at best (barely a Zeller!), don't really see what good he does for this team (though I can imagine him to be a thoughtful contributor in practice). I always liked Nadar, thought he'd found a spot in OKC but their allergic to talent right now, oh well; I think he's a nice bench piece for the Suns. 

Rest of the roster

Devin Booker, Deandre Ayton, Jae Crowder, Dario Saric, Mikal Bridges, Jalen Smith, Cameron Johnson

Booker's ready to blow up, 1st rd pick in the fantasy draft, low key MVP candidate. Can't believe they didn't re-sign Ayton--he was instrumental in getting through the West last year!--but I can see his regular season performance being sorta disappointing (since he's an underappreciated player lingering in the shadows of a young stud (Booker) and an overrated stathead whore (CP); too bad, man, maybe the next team will appreciate you more), I can see Ayton moving on next summer, which sounds dumb as hell as I write that. Re-upped Bridges, smart move, that kid is a kinda awesome. Crowder and Saric (will Saric play this year?) are dudes that know their roles, know what to do, solid pros. I was blown away by Johnson last year in the playoffs, had moments of doing whatever he wanted, sneaky underrated guy. Smith looked like a bust last year, perhaps the Suns think he can challenge for Ayton's minutes (and extension)? 

Summer '22 free agents

Ayton, Bridges, McGee, Payton, Kaminsky, Randle; team options on Johnson, Smith, Nader

(They signed Bridges today; good move) I'd re-up Ayton, not sure what they're waiting for, they kinda treat him like trade bait (did they really just go all in on CP so that they can make a major trade in the middle of the season?), but if he has a sub-par year, they might get a stupid good deal (or give up on a solid prospect). The rest are probably just rentals that'll move on next summer. I definitely expect them to re-up Johnson, not sure about Smith or Nader.

Over/Under: 51.5 (Over, 2nd in the West)

Look, I'll be honest: I've never been a CP guy and I think last year just proved to the world--CONCLUSIVELY!--that this team isn't going to win a championship as constructed. I would've blown it up by shipping out Paul and re-upping Ayton, but that's precisely what the Suns didn't do. Instead, they alienated one of their core players to fawn over an aging (overrated) PG who just showed you that it'll take Anthony Davis, Jamal Murray and Kawhi Leonard being forced into a woodchipper for his team to have any shot at a title. Why build around an old guy when you've got a fine young core? Oh well. That said, the Suns (led by Paul) should be a regular season juggernaut, a night in/night out lunch money thief that piles up W's. And then they'll lose in the playoffs. (Then they lose Ayton....then they're stuck with Paul...then they're in lottery again and everyone wonders how they got here)


Lakers

Out

Devontae Clark (declined to tender qualifying offer), Kostas Antetokounpo (declined to tender quaifying offer), Alex Caruso (free agent), Andre Drummond (free agent), Ben McLemore (free agent), Dennis Schroeder (free agent), Jared Dudley (retired), Markieff Morris (free agent), Wesley Matthews (retired?), Alfonzo McKinnie (waived)

I kinda love Caruso and if the Lakers could've kept him I bet they would have, but he was good enough to get more money somewhere else, so they had to let him go. I think they rebounded from Shroeder well (and I never thought he was the right fit for them anyway), so while they could've used him, I think they'll be fine without him. Dudley was done, Markieff was always up and down, Matthews was done, McLemore is a practice player, McKinnie just never became as good as I thought he could have. I like Drummond myself, but I understand the game just isn't built for him any more and if he wants big money he has to move on, but I'm a little surprised the Lakers couldn't find a way to keep him, he's still a mindless rebounder. 

In

Austin Reaves (undrafted free agent), Joel Ayayi (undrafted; 2-way), Carmelo Anthony (1yr/$2.6m), Dwight Howard (1yr/$2.6m), Kendrick Nunn (2yr/$10m), Kent Bazemore (1yr/$2.4m), Malik Monk (1yr/$1.8m), Trevor Ariza (1yr/$2.6m), Wayne Ellington (1yr/$2.6m), Russell Westbrook (trade with Wizards), Rajon Rondo (1yr/$2.6m), DeAndre Jordan (1yr/$2.6m), Wang Zhelin (current status?), Austin Reaves (1yr/$1m), Cameron Oliver (Exhibit 10), Trevelin Queen (Exhibit 10), Frank Mason  (current status?), Sekou Doumbouya (2-way)

Getting Monk and Nunn are absolute bargain basement deals is the coup of the off-season. Of course, no one will notice that because the suits will keep trying to sell you on the mixed bag that is: Carmelo (washed), Howard (slightly useful), Bazemore (fan favorite but not gonna contribute much), Ariza (washed), Ellington (coupla corner 3's but not much else), Rondo (either brilliant or useless but impossible to predict which), Dendre (washed). Westbrook can still play, but I'd say the way to use him is off the bench, give him the keys to the 2nd string and get him to go 6th Man, otherwise he may be more trouble than he's worth on the court. And what's the deal with Doumbouya? This is 4th team in a matter of weeks, three teams thought he wasn't worth a flyer? 'Sup wit dat?

Re-signed

Coach Frank Vogel (multi-year extension), Talen Horton-Tucker (3yr/$30.9m), 

Vogel has the weirdest job in all of sports: great if you win, brutal if you don't, but either way totally worth more money; good deal, the Lakers can pay coaches forever, go ahead and take care of the man. Apparently Lebron loves THT, okay, because I never saw much in him. 

Rest of the roster

Lebron James, Anthony Davis 

If Lebron and AD are healthy in May, the Lakers will win the West. 

Summer '22 free agents

Rondo, Jordan, Howard, Ellington, Ariza, Anthony, Bazemore, Monk; player options for Westbrook and Nunn

Keep Monk, move on from the rest. I would expect both Nunn and Westbrook to re-up.

Over/Under: 52.5 (Under, 4th in the West)

If Lebron and AD are healthy in May, the Lakers will win the West. I think rotating their playing time throughout the season is the way to keep them healthy and that'll mean relying on Westbrook, which will be fun and rewarding at times, but grueling an heartbreaking at times, too (that's the Westbrook way). Add in all the oldheads getting buckets an the Lakers should be a good--not great--regular season squad. I think they're firmly in the top-6 but not the top of the table. This team is about the post-season, not the regular season. 


Warriors

Out

Jordan Bell (declined to tender qualifying offer), Kelly Oubre (free agent), Kent Bazemore (free agent), Alen Smailagic (waived), Eric Paschall (traded to Jazz), Nico Mannion (went to Europe), 

Oubre felt like more than a stopgap when they picked him up last season, but that's ultimately what he was, doesn't feel like a big loss because it doesn't feel like he was ever really here. Paschall had some nice moments as a rook but kinda disappeared last year, seemed like he was more valuable as a trade. Smailagic was a guy they raved about when they drafted this relative unknown in the 2nd round a coupla years ago, either he didn't pan out or they were just blowing smoke the whole time. Bazemore is probably more useful to the Lakers or Nets. Bell is a nice player but not a big loss and Manion had some buzz as a prospect but he's probably better in Europe. 

In

#7 pick Jonathon Kuminga (G-League), #14 Moses Moody (Arkansas), Nemanja Bjelica (1yr/$2.1m), Otto Porter (1yr/$2.4m), Andre Iguodala (1yr/$2.6m), Chris Chiozza (2-way), Avery Bradley (1yr/$2.6m), LJ Figueroa (pre-season)

Porter replaces Oubre, Bjelica gives them another crafty vet that can bomb 3's, Iguodala is player-coach phase at this point (seems a great fit with the youth movement), I thought Bradley felt like a nice fit but they let him go. Chiozza has long had promise, perhaps the Warriors are the right team for him.  

Re-signed

Steph Curry (4yr/$215m)

Can never give Curry too much money, this is a great deal, totally worth every penny. 

Rest of the roster

Klay Thompson, Andrew Wiggins, Draymond Green, James Wiseman, Kevon Looney, Jordan Poole, Gary Payton II, Damion Lee, Mychal Mulder, Juan Toscano-Anderson

If Klay can be Klay again, this team will be great again. Personally, I love Wiggins, I think he's a perfect fit for this team, glad they never succumbed to the trade talk, he doesn't need to score he just needs to be there. Draymond needs to be traffic cop on this team, a job for which he is either perfect or terrible; we'll see. I like Wiseman, I expect him to be downright useful come playoff time. I admire Looney and Poole for all they've endured in their time with the Warriors, I hope the team rewards them both. Toscano-Anderson is the bridge to Moody and Kuminga. 

Summer '22 free agents

Looney, Bradley, Iguodala, Porter, Bjelica, Payton, Lee, Mulder, Toscano-Anderson, Figueroa; team options on Wiseman and Poole

I expect them to keep Wiseman and Poole. If there's money for Looney and Toscano-Anderson, I can see them both back. That's probably it for the rest of those guys (although I can totally see Iguodala becoming their Udonis). 

Over/Under : 48.5 (Under, 6th in the West)

I like the Warriors. I like the mix of youth and vets they've got going and I think its gonna work just fine. They'll be up an down but I expect them to be in the top-6 and to be ready for the post-season. (Okay, full disclosure: I love Klay, I've really missed Klay and I hope he's back to being a badass sooner rather than later) Obviously the Warriors are all about Klay at this point and the better he is, the further they'll go. Can they win the title? Yeah, they can. (I'd give them a better shot than the Suns)


Clippers

Out

DeMarcus Cousins (free agent), Patrick Patterson (free agent), Rajon Rondo (trade with Grizzlies), Patrick Beverley (trade with Grizzlies), Daniel Oturu (trade with Grizzlies), Yogi Ferrell (waived)

I think Beverley still had some value to the Clippers and I always kinda liked Ferrell. Otherwise, the Clippers are not damaged by missing out on any of the rest.   

In

#21 pick Keon Johnson (Tennessee), #33 pick Jason Preston (Ohio), #51 pick (BJ Boston Jr (Kentucky), Justise Winslow (2yr/$8m), Eric Bledsoe (trade with Grizzlies), George King (Exhibit 10), Harry Giles (Exhibit 9), Moses Wright (Exhibit 10), Isaiah Hartenstein (Exhibit 9)

Is Coach Lue gonna play rookies? My gut is that dude will play whoever is working on any given night, so I expect to see Johnson, Preston and Boston (my pick for the steal of the draft), especially since I suspect Winslow and Bledsoe will be spotty at best. I still believe in Giles, the Clippers will either swallow him whole or become reborn in that wide-open thrill ride of an offense the Clippers will feature. I was always curious about Hartenstein, little surprised he didn't get a better deal elsewhere, so (like Giles) he probably either blossoms or disappears.  

Re-signed

Amir Coffey (2-way), Reggie Jackson (2yr/$21.6m), Kawhi Leonard (4yr/$176m), Nicolas Batum (2yr/$6.5m), Terence Mann (2yr/$22m)

Jackson played well in the playoffs last year, opportunistic and shoot-happy, bringing back the old Lou Williams days and frankly I think that's fine; LA needs some crazy swag to it and Reggie Jax, for better or worse, is that guy; I like this signing. Kawhi wants how much? Can't we give him more? Kawhi is one of those golden children that you just can't shower enough money on. Even if he is out for the year, re-upping him is an absolute no-brainer. I like Batum, seemed reborn in the playoffs last year and that's nice, this is a friendly deal, I like it. Mann blew up in the playoffs and the expectations (right or wrong) are definitely gonna be higher this year, that alone warrants a raise; I like this deal. Don't know Coffey. 

Rest of the roster

Paul George, Marcus Morris, Luke Kennard, Serge Ibaka, Ivica Zubac

PG impressed me immensely last year, didn't think he was that kinda guy any more and he announced that oh yeah, he still is. Does Kawhi-less success in the playoffs translate to the long haul of a regular season? I dunno, but Morris, Kennard and Zubac are reliable (if occasionally lackluster) core background crew. Ibaka still knocks down shots and plays D. I like this core, I think they can win without Kawhi (they just won't be scary without Kawhi).  

Summer '22 free agents

Ibaka, Giles, Hartenstein; team option on Zubac; player option for Batum

Ibaka probably has to jump ship next year (Nets? Lakers? Celtics?, etc?). Giles and Hartenstein are basically auditioning for next summer's contract offers; I'm rooting for both of them. I like Zubac, not top tier but reliable, still young, good team guy, I think he's worth bringing back (but we'll see). I fully expect Batum to pick up his option (even if its for a trade). 

Over/Under: 45.5 (Under, 7th in the West)

The Clippers are a weird team, man. Every time you're ready to believe in them, they fuck up something bad; but when you give into the notion they suck, they become some kind of poor kid dream on Xmas morning. (This is the Eli Manning effect: Eli elevated shitty teams and dragged down good teams) How good will the Clippers be? Well, I still kinda like the roster and I like Coach Lue to figure out what's working on a nightly basis. So I think this team, even without Kawhi, should still be pretty good. But I also still expect them to scuffle down the stretch (and to possibly have some brutally awful stretches throughout the year).


Kings

Out

Kyle Guy (declined to tender qualifying offer), Louis King (declined to tender qualifying offer), Hassan Whiteside (free agent), Delon Wright (traded to Hawks), Justin James (waived)

No devastating losses for Sacramento. The Kings' depth at the G position allows them to casually move on from Wright, one of the most coveted 2nd string PGs in the league; the Kings' PG/SG depth leaves everyone assuming that more than just Wright will be pried from them soon. I always kinda liked Whiteside more than most (the poor man's Gobert), but the Kings don't really need him. The other guys I don't know.

In

#9 pick Davion Mitchell (Baylor), #39 pick Neemias Queta (Utah State/2-way), Tristan Thompson (trade with Celtics), Alex Len (2yr/$7.6m), Emanuel Terry (Exhibit 10), 

I was blown away by Baylor's run through the tourney last year (though perhaps I'm of the dying breed still into college ball), I think Mitchell's gonna be good right away and have a long career, I think he's a great pick for anyone, even the Kings. Thompson and Len are why the Kings can move on from Whiteside; both perhaps only minimally useful, ideally a platoon of the two get net some rebounds, while avoiding foul trouble, so I think the pairing could work. I don't know Queta or Terry. 

Re-signed

Richaun Holmes (4yr/$46.5m), Terence Davis (2yr/$8m), Moe Harkless (2yr/$9m), 

I love Holmes, fun to watch, plays angry, I like that deal for the Kings, simultaneously affordable and tradeable. Harkless, too, is a dude I always liked, very affordable deal for a crafty reliable vet. I don't know Davis. 

Rest of the roster

De'Aaron Fox, Buddy Hield, Harrison Barnes, Marvin Bagley, Tyrese Haliburton, Damian Jones, Chimezie Metu, Jahmi'us Ramsey, Robert Woodards, Damian Jefferson, Ade Murkey,

I love Fox, think he could go up a level this year. I like Hield, should be a reliable filler upper (tradeable deal, 3 years declining). I think Barnes is the best kind of vet (seems like a Cuban kinda guy, wonder if he can get back to Dallas?), I think he forms a solid core player. I still believe in Bagley; I love Haliburton, gonna be a reliable crafty kinda guy for years to come, built to be a hired gun.  

Summer '22 free agents

Bagley, Thompson, Jones, Terry; team option on Haliburton

I can definitely see a 3-team Magic deal with Bagley attached; I think the Kings should encourage Bagley to blossom then either sign him (if he blows up it'll be worth it) or let him walk (hey, we gave the guy a shot and now someone else will give him a shot).  I can see him being weird 3-team trade filler (the Magic could be a partner for them), but I'd rather see the Kings give him one last chance to be the all-round threat he was built to be. I doubt he's back with the Kings next year, him blowing up is the only thing that keeps him in Sactown, I can see him finishing the year but I don't see him re-signing. Thompson is 'thanks for everything' press conference, not someone the front office will spend much time contemplating; if he can still play, he's a buyout for a shot at an MLE with the Lakers or Nets or I can see him retiring. As for Haliburton, they should pick that up now (wouldn't be surprised if they already have). 

Over/Under: 36.5 (Over, 10th in the West)

Some good talent, some good depth. Seems like they off to a bad start with Bagley (guys, you kinda need Bagley to be good, whether you keep him or ship him out, you need Bagley to be good!) and there is a logjam on the roster that will keep trade talk always hovering (Ben Simmons just hanging out there). So even though I like the talent and how they're building, I just think extracurricular nonsense will doom this team. That said, I'd love to see them in the play-in, bet they'd put on a show.

No comments: