Wednesday, June 30, 2021

2021 Euro Quarterfinals

I've watched a random smattering of the Euro and a lot of the Copa America. Enjoyed all of it but haven't been as locked in as I usually (sometimes) am. Might as well make predictions, I guess. 

Switzerland v Spain. I genuinely thought Switzerland was the better side in their PK thriller with France, indeed the match was there for Switzerland to dominate and they fell asleep and let France take over. But they recovered and got it done and they're the ones matching up against a Spain side that has been progressing in this tournament, but still seems kinda slow and awkward to me. The 2000s Spain side (one of the greatest sports team of all time, IMHO) dominated possession and regulated the pace of play to their precise demands; this team acts like they can play that way....but they can't. If Switzerland bunkers, then I don't think Spain gets anywhere near the goal and if the game is looser in the midfield, I don't think benefits Spain, either. I really feel like Switzerland is the scarier team--and they've even run the PK gauntlet already, too. I'll take Switzerland. 

Belgium v Italy. This is the quarterfinal-of-death (not sure anyone has used that phrase before, I'll go ahead and take credit for it), definitely the one you want to clear your calendar for. I think Belgium is the most talented team in the world right now, gotta go with them to keep winning. Italy is fun, a bit underappreciated these days, they've got talent and moxy, they can absolutely win this and that's why this is the game to watch. I think Belgium's got too much firepower up front, too much control in the midfield, I gotta go with Belgium.  

Czech Republic v Denmark. I've only watched a smidge of these two teams so I have no real feel for either of them. The fact that Czech snuck past mighty Netherlands (meh) and that Denmark stomped lowly Wales (double meh), doesn't really mean much to me. I think Netherlands is in a bad way right now (more like North Carolina basketball, which will be just fine in the long run, as opposed to Nebraska football, which ain't coming back) and Czech was the better team. But it wasn't some rousing upset. Likewise with Denmark's thorough thrashing of Wales: man, Wales is like the Vanderbilt of Europe, they were born to get thumped in competitions like this, so it's not as if Denmark showed off some amazing capability to get here. So...uh....I dunno, I'll take Denmark. 

Ukraine v England. Ukraine's late game comeback against Sweden was a thing of beauty, but I can't help thinking that Sweden was the better team and they let the match get away from them. England, on the other hand, I thought England thoroughly dominated Germany, especially in the 2nd half. (*) Great W for the English. Ukraine is the spunky underdog but this England team is really good. I gotta go with England. 



(*) In the 80th-ish minute, with England up 1-0, Thomas Muller got a wide open solo breakaway and a good look at a giant goal to tie up the match late....and he put it wide. My first thought was that may well be the last touch Muller ever has in German uniform. He got subbed out soon after and I think I was probably right because I doubt we'll see him in World Cup qualifying. Dang, man, what a tough way to go out. Germany has been in a weird funk for a while, normally they casually dominate but they haven't looked anything like dominant in a while now and I don't know why because they still have tons of talent.

You don't need to speak German, you'll understand it just fine. 

No comments: