Tuesday, June 8, 2021

2021 UEFA U-21 Euro

Germany 1-0 Portugal 

I just happened to catch this, just happened to be at my computer, figured I'd go ahead and knock down some thoughts. I am not a great evaluator of talent in soccer, the games are just too long, the action is so varied, and I don't watch enough games to really get much of a feel for these players. Basketball has more similar (if not repetitive) game play action, the baskets are closer together, the court is much smaller, the action more intense, so you get a feel for the individual style of players. In baseball guys just need reps, which is why spring training is so long and so important: guys need to play but if they suck they can't be hogging up a Major League roster. If I watched more soccer and was as hyper into the stats, I'm sure I'd get a feel for these guys but I'm more of a basketball nerd, soccer is a casual amusement for me. 

I write that because really the whole purpose of an U-21 match (even the championship) is just to get a feel for the next generation of badasses, the dudes that Real and Man U and PSG will be fighting over for the rest of the decade. Yeah, I got none of that. No one looked bad to me, but no one really jumped out at me either. 

Portugal was solid with the ball in their attack but never seemed that dangerous around the goal; their defense was sturdy and (almost) fought off the German advance. Germany didn't show me great ball handling up front but no one sucked and their defenders all looked quite capable. 

The only goal was just after halftime. Nmecha (49) was able to corral a pass in the box, got the keeper out of position and though he had a lot of goal to shoot at, his momentum was carrying him away from the ball so he had to put a quick rip on it to convert. Germany had a few more good chances than Portugal but I wouldn't say they dominated. 

Fun game, both teams were intense, playing hard and having fun. They were all tip top athletes, nobody had glaringly bad touch, the keepers both looked pretty good, I expect I'll be seeing a lot of these guys in the coming years. Nice to catch them before these guys turn into scuzzy cynical pros, for now they still have a joy to them (an NCAA tournament or College World Series kinda quality (*)). 



(*) This is what the Olympics was always supposed to be and never was. They already have age bracketed Olympic level events, let the youngsters have their day, and maintain age bracketing into the 20s (and eventually even into the 30s). Let a range of competitions bloom and mature over time by keeping players in their generational cohort instead of treating, say, soccer like it's a World Cup event (it's not, it really isn't). Tennis, golf, softball, seems to me swimming and probably some track events, would actually lend themselves well to older folks playing. And let the kids have their day.  

No comments: