Thursday, May 27, 2021

2021 PGA Championship (Ol' Phil Mickelson)

My favorite part of Phil Mickelson's win at the PGA this weekend was the fact that absolutely no one saw it coming. He played well at the Masters, was a fun watch, and when he was really great on Thursday, I was hopeful. When he was great again on Friday, I was slightly more hopeful. He was good on Saturday, the leader going into Sunday, I was still hopeful. But I never felt anything more than just vaguely hopeful until the back nine on Sunday when Koepka and Oosthuizen just kinda melted away. 

Great win, fun watch. On the one hand it was a rather muted Major, on the other hand we got to watch Phil for 72 holes, which hasn't happened in a while. Nice. 

In the course of recalling that the oldest previous PGA championship winner was Old Tom Morris, Jim Nance said it: "Old Phil". I dunno if Phil liked it but I dug it and I guarantee it's gonna stick. I remember Phil as a young fan favorite that couldn't win the big one and now to crown him the oldest Major champion of all time caps the career of the greatest golfer of his generation....right? (*) 


(*) Nah, Tiger is still the man even with all his weird ups and downs. But Phil is a close--and getting closer--second place.

No comments: