Saturday, April 13, 2019

2018-19 NBA Playoffs (Predictions)

East
Bucks over Pistons in 4
Raptors over Magic in 4
Sixers over Nets in 5
Celtics over Pacers in 7

Pistons without Blake Griffin...no way they win even a single game.
Raptors were my pre-season pick (and I'm sticking with 'em). Magic had a nice season, it ends here.
Last year's playoff performance by the Sixers showed they weren't ready to be here but they've thickened the roster (sorta) and I think the Nets have overachieved to get this far. Sixers should breeze.
Okay, here it is: if the Celtics are gonna be as good as they ought to be, then smacking an Oladipo-less Pacer squad should be a given; but they're not there and the Pacers have played really well without him. I still like the Celtics to take it but the Pacers will sweat them.


Bucks over Celtics in 5
Raptors over Sixers in 5

The Celtics still have Kyrie and that's good enough to keep the Celtics competitive even against the best team in the league. But the Bucks remember last year's smack down and they're better in every way this year, I like the Bucks to start strong, win one in Boston and finish it quick.
The Raptors are too disciplined, too deep, too good and the Sixers are still too green and even with all their star power, who's the guy that steps up? The Raptors are too good.


Raptors over Bucks in 7

This is when the playoffs begin. The Bucks have grown by leaps and bounds this year while the Raptors are still strangely the same team they've been for a few years now (despite some big shakeups in the last 12 months). But the Raptors are free of Lebron and it is their time to rule the roost. I like the Bucks, I love Giannis, they've got a solid supporting cast and the Coach of the Year, but I don't think they win Game Seven.


West
Warriors over Clippers in 4
Nuggets over Spurs in 6
Blazers over Thunder in 7
Rockets over Jazz in 5

I like what the Clippers did this year and the Warriors often start slow in the post-season, so the Clippers got a shot, right? Nah. The Clippers have a rookie PG and a bunch of dudes that have never been here before (and they already have an eye toward the off-season); the Warriors are looking at Houston in Round Two, they need to get going and I think they will.
The Spurs have impressed me with their ability to stay above water but the Nuggets' home court advantage and depth are just too much to overcome. I like the Nuggets to come in ready to play.
The Thunder are the squad no one wants to play in the playoffs, the Blazers are the team that underachieve every year late, so it seems like the Thunder are the obvious favorite, right? I'm not seeing it. I kinda love the Blazers as the underdog and I'm weary of the Thunder with more swagger than they deserve (and they could really use Roberson in a series like this). I'll take the Blazers to stare down the mighty Thunder and move on.
The Rockets blew their chance to get the #2 seed but I hardly think that matters, they'll be tough to beat anywhere, any time. I like the Jazz but I kinda liked them better last year...when they got smoked by the Rockets in the playoffs. I just don't see the upside for the Jazz here, I gotta go with the Rockets all the way.


Warriors over Rockets in 7
Blazers over Nuggets in 6

Here's where the playoffs begin! Warriors-Rockets is gonna be a war...I dunno, I'll take the Warriors in Game Seven.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the bracket is the up-and-coming Nuggets with the deep bench, the wily coach, the eye-of-the-storm star in Jokic to keep it all together and the Blazers are the team that disappoints every year. I think the Blazers have more moxy and they know who they are and they'll poke the newcomers in the eye. I like the Blazers.


Warriors over Blazers in 7

The Warriors, after beating the feared Rockets, will think they've got it all taken care of. But the Blazers will be high on house money, feeling themselves and will push the Warriors to the edge. I like the Warriors to get it done when the chips are down, but they'll have to work harder than they've worked in a while.


Finals

Raptors over Warriors in 7

This was my pre-season pick and I'm sticking with it. The Warriors have splintered but they're so damned talented, they'll get all the way to the finish line before it really catches up with them. The Raptors could blink but with Kawhi as the star, I think they'll be steady enough and aggressive enough to make the most of the Warrior wobbles.  This season will be remembered for Giannis's breakout and the Warriors' going bust.

No comments: