Saturday, April 28, 2018

2018-19 San Antonio Spurs

2017-18: 47-35 (7th in the West, lost in the 1st rd)
Draft picks: 18,49
Signed for next season ($99.4m): Lamarcus Aldridge, Kawhi Leonard, Pau Gasol, Patty Mills, Danny Green, Rudy Gay, Manu Ginobli, Derrick White, Joffrey Lauvergne, Dejounte Murray, Brandon Paul

This summer's free agents: Tony Parker, Kyle Anderson, Bryn Forbes, Davis Bertans, Matt Costello, Darrun Hilliard,
I think it's time for Parker to move on, but I doubt he gets the kind of money he wants, so perhaps he could be in San Antonio's price range. Anderson and Bertans are probably still in San Antonio's reach, too. I think they can do better than Forbes. Costello and Hilliard are on 2-way contracts.

Okay, elephant in the room: they've got to figure out what to do with Kawhi. Do they trade him? Sign him to an extension? Or let him play put the final year of his deal? The answer to that sets up the rest of the off-season. I'd vote to re-sign him, I would strenuously vote against playing out his deal and I could be talked into a trade but I'd likely vote against that, too. Unless he is dead set on never playing basketball again, I'd re-sign him no matter what it costs (which I think is what they'll do).

Green, Gay and Lauvergne are on player options. I can see Danny Green opting out (how about him in a Pelicans uniform?) and I'm not sure Gay gets much more money but I can see him heading to a new environment (how about coming off the bench for the new-look Lakers?). Lauvergne seems safe for San Antonio. If Green and Gay bolt they'll have money to spend and holes to fill. (Hmmm...does that leave them Lebron money...?)

I've seen a mock draft that has them taking Zhaire Smith (Texas Tech) at #18, seems like a good fit for them. The Spurs are the greatest at finding foreign talent late in the draft, I assume they'll make the most of #49 (perhaps even swapping it to Philly for #56 and #60).

Right now: until they figure out Kawhi and the player options, it's pretty impossible to know what they're gonna do. My guess is they came back with Kawhi but without Green (Gay's move probably depends on whether Kawhi comes back). After that, who knows? (Seriously though: Lebron and Kawhi with Aldridge...it would light a fire under the Rockets and Warriors and new-look Lakers, no?)

No comments: